The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, hello everyone

Im about to finish my first 200l tank with lots of DIY-things in it. But one of those things still isnt that good i want it to be..
My durso (25mm PVC-pipe, 110cm long) is too "loud". Ive read a lot about silencing this and further i made big success, but it wasnt enough.

What ive done: (this may help others as well)

1. Build a Durso: google

2. try to set it silent:
When still too loud, minime your flow-rate.
when tyding up and down loud, it needs more air through the top.
When whispering, build a silencer out of a can and some "blue-filter-sponge": add a small pipe to the top, fix the can on it(pipe just inside the can without drilling a hole, fill the can with sponge) and it will bee much more silent

But shouldnt a durso just work without "sparkling" in the sump?
Shouldnt it be silent? Mine is still little sparkling and i hate it.
How much flows through your Durso? i had to take away >70% of flow (2800l/h to 400l/h)

some were talking about to drill holes in the below-part "for the air bubbles"
some were talking about to install the below-part in some angle(not straight)
some were talking about to use a "kugelhahnen" as well to rise the waterlevel in the pipe

Which of these points actually work?
I guess my pipe is a bit too long, but i cant shorten it. so what should i do?

Thanks from Switzerland

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course

On top i got a DIY silencer, not shown on these pics.
Then the red "Kugelhahnen" (how do you call that?)

Then the Durso-pipe.

Then the other blue "Kugelhahnen" just before the sump.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the last pic you can clearly see thats it is still gurgling.
I reduced the flow from 2800l/h to 400. thats **** for my tank at night when i turn off my Tunze stream 6065, then its barely no flow in the tank.
Im working on some thiny little enductors to get some more flow but building enductors for 400l/h is nearly impossible...(for me)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i changed the 90° output at the end to a smooth "curve", and now its better.
still little gurgling but better

are your dursos silent? NO noises at all???? or is this silent sounding normal?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out this thread and see posts #19 and #30 for my replies. #30 has some links. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/micro-bubbles-122261.html

It is a thread about micro-bubbles but my solution that I used works to keep it silent as well. I'm running about 110 GPH through a 90 gallon display and a 20 gallon sump and it is silent and bubble free. The only noise I have is from the pump running.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Can't tell from the pic but it looks like you didn't make the durso standpipe correctly. You should use a larger pipe size than the bulkhead for the standpipe and then reduce it to fit into the bulkhead. This is important for it to work correctly.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Check out this picture of the AGA Megaflow plumbing as well. Notice how the drain pipe diameter is reduce right before the bulkhead.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10090+12078&pcatid=12078

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i didnt reduce the pipe anywhere. So this causes my problems, doesnt it? But in my overflow there is no space to install a bigger durso-head so i cant make my pipe bigger. would it help to reduce the pipe just under the bulkhead? i think it would have the same effect as a reduction just over the bulkhead.

another question which is kinda offtopic: does vodka help against cyanos?
I read it helps but id like another opinion.

@cruiser78 thanks for the links! i might built some bubbletrap as well.

@ all: thanks a lot for your great help so far!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
wow i forgot all about this post, i hate to say it but i think you may have built yourself into a corner the biggest problem i see is that the drain pipe has to be much larger. the stand pipe needs to be 1 1/4" and then reduced to fit your bulk head, with this size plumbing you should get about 600gal. an hour.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok I might should built it that way: 1 1/4" drain pipe and 1" bulkhead but sadly I didnt... So lets have a look at the possibilities!

Would it help to reduce the drain pipe right below the bulkhead to maybe 3/4" to avoid the bubble-sound and therefor the bubbles?

Now im running with something about 150gph
will a 3/4" bulkhead handle 300-400gph?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
reducing the bulkhead is not going to make a difference you need to enlarge the stand pipe to move more water. hate to say it but your going to have to redo the overflow or use a hob overflow box.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
While not ideal, reducing it to 3/4in below the bulkhead will work. You will be restricting your drain flow but it sounds like you are already doing that anyway. I press fit everything into place and try it out before you glue everything in place.

Vodka reduces nutrients which can reduce or eliminate cyano. It doesn't directly eliminate cyano like Red Slime Remover or Chemiclean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks jadinop, at least one who thinks about my problem and solves it!
I restricted my flow from 600gh to 100gh so it wont make any difference in flow if i reduce the pipe to 3/4"
I even might increase my flow to maybe 200gh
that would be great!

Im gonna try that out next week, ill report its results here

total darkness for 2 days and vodka seem to work very well against these cyanos! Obviously vodka works not in the same way as AntiRed or Red Slime Remover, but it works passive by reducing the nutrients (NO3 and PO4) on which the stupid bacteria depend in my case. (heard about some other cyano depending on too pure water parameters)

thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, I installed the reduction but it made it even worse..
with the same flow as before, now it burbs from time to time like a toilet (this doesnt depend on my air-inlet! there is enough air)
Why?

It seems to work like this: As air gets sucked downwards the pipe, it accumulates above the reduction till it gets sucked through and is released in the fuge. this causes the noise.

How can I fix this?

I just finished cycling and my Tank now looks like this:

All the best from cheese-land

1 - 20 of 27 Posts