The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I had an ammonia spike a little while ago and I'm new to the reefing hobby. I have been nutrient free for over a week, maybe 2 weeks..can't remember (I sound like I'm talking in an AA meeting haha). Anyways. My duncan has been open everyday since the ammonia problem went away, but won't feed. I made a thread about this in the LPS forum but didn't get much advice. I had dipped him for 5 mins in an iodine solution and now all of his tentacles are extended rather that just most of them. But when I target feed, he doesn't catch any of the food.

I saw a long string brown material coming from his mouth yesterday morning which made be believe it was the brown jelly after researching it but I haven't seen any other signs of it. This was also a days after I did the iodine dip which doesn't make sense since the iodine "should kill" the bacteria, if there was any in the first place.

Any ideas for why this guy won't feed?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also since I target fed my zoas the other day, they have not fully opened since. Some do but half don't (about 15 heads total). Before I target fed with zoo plankton they were all fully extended..at least as extended as I've ever seen them since i got them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Be careful not to do too much treatment or effort to save it. Corals, the Duncan especially are pretty hardy. I don't feed my duncan at all and it is doing very well. I got mine with about 5 heads on it and now it is the size of a softball, with no target feeding ever.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, ok. He had actually started to eat again. It's tricky but he did barely grab a piece of spirulina brine. Only thing is he closed up really slow to eat it. Looks like it's making a good recovery. I see a bulge near the base of the head now too so idk if that's a new head growing or if i'm just not seeing things right. its hard to tell without reaching in and moving him. i don't feel like disturbing the thing for now.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I believe Duncans have a long sweeper tentacle is likely the brown string that you saw. I've witnessed this once on my duncans, so i'm assuming it is finding it's own food with the sweeper tentacle, but Duncans get most of their nutritional needs from photosynthesis, as do most corals... target feeding isn't really needed, they'll catch their own food as it floats by or be fine surviving off the lights (assuming your lights are good enough). I have not target fed any corals in months because I had read that adding coral food isn't really that beneficial, other than just increasing the nutrients in the tank. The only thing I target feed is my nem every few days when I have the meaty foods I squirt some down in the nem's direction so it can catch some, otherwise everything only gets fed if they catch it while it is floating around (I don't turn powerheads off for feeding).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts