The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
i can't see any reason why not. You can always ask Dr. Ron, as he knows a lot about sand beds, but the ARM media is aragonite, it's reef safe...

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
1,081 Posts
I think the only reason people don't use it as substrate is because its so darn expensive to get it in the amounts that you would need to make even a shallow sand bed.

It's a shame though...I think a sand bed using ARM would look really good; I really like the grain size of ARM :D

- Michael

Melissa said:
Yeah, I know...there's no such thing as a dumb question. I don't believe that. There is too. Here is one:

Can I use ARM reactor media for substrate?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, goodfortune stated the only reason i know of not to... and that is purely the cost of the stuff. And it would end up trapping detritus because of the size, also with that size, I don't think would benefit to go into dsb with it, as it probably wouldnt' get the oxygen free zones it needs to function unless really deep. Plus dsb seem to be better remoted.
and ssb or bb in tank so that its easier to care for.
Tom could probably elaborate a LOT better.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
robsmith32 said:
Yes, goodfortune stated the only reason i know of not to... and that is purely the cost of the stuff. And it would end up trapping detritus because of the size, also with that size, I don't think would benefit to go into dsb with it, as it probably wouldnt' get the oxygen free zones it needs to function unless really deep. Plus dsb seem to be better remoted.
and ssb or bb in tank so that its easier to care for.
Tom could probably elaborate a LOT better.
Good answer, Rob, what I would have said!

Melissa, if you need to get rid of the reactor media, I know a good place to swap it for sand in the Upstate...

:D

·
Skimmer and Reactor
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 20" cube to start up. One 15lb container of ARM went in it yesterday and it looks like just a little more will do the trick. I've got another 20lbs or so. I think I'll add just a little more and maybe some shells, then I should be good to go. It actually looks really nice. I will take a photo for you all in the next day or so.

This tank will be a little different. I'm looking to keep softies in it. Not sure about fishes yet.

Melissa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts