The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently battling a cyano outbreak and I have tried almost all of the usual actions (less light/food, more waterchanges, etc...). My parameters are currently: nitrate 5 ppm, and phosphate is 0.05 ppm. I am wanting to increase the flow in my DT next.

I have a 46 gallon acrylic bowfront with a 20L sump. The return pump is an Eheim Compact+ 2000 (528 gal/hr w/o head losses) and I have 2 opposing Hydor Koralia Nano 425 PHs (425 gal/hr each). I feel like the Koralia are not producing enough flow in the DT and I was wanting to replace them with better PHs. The tank is lightly stocked currently with only 2 clowns, a yellow tail damsel, 4 different zoas, and a green BTA, along with CUC. However I am planning on LPS and SPS in the future once the tank has matured enough (9 months old now) and I win the war on this cyano...

I like the features that Vortech MP10s offer, just not the price :cry:. I was shopping around and came across Jebao as another feature rich wavemaker.

My question is this, which size would you guys suggest for a 46 gallon bowfront? Two RW 4s or two RW 8s?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! After a bunch of digging and watching youtube videos I was leaning towards the 4s. I'd hate to buy the smaller ones just to find out I still don't have enough flow, but I really dont want a sand storm!

FYI, amazon has the 4s for like $45 right now. Not too bad compared to Vortechs. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there,

I Also have a 46 bowfront. Currently running two 500gph power heads on a wavemaker power strip. The problem i'm having is that they have started to run in reverse about half the time and at this point i looking to just throw them down in my sump and upgrade to a couple rw4's. Would i only need 1 rw4 for a 46 bowfront or would it be better to go with two and sync them? I have a mixed reef with lps, sps, and softies. anyways let me know what you think.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running 2 rw4's. My substrate does not move with them running at 100%. I would suggest at least 2 rw4's possibly 1 rw8 and 1 rw4, or 2 rw8's if you have plans to go larger in the future.

With 2 rw4's there is very good flow through the tank. I am happy with them. I have the jebao controller producing a wave now.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
What is your footprint of your tank? I think a single RW-8 will give you enough water movement. But I also believe you will have more flexability with dual RW-4s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is 16.25"L x 36"W x 20"H. 2 rw4's is just the right amount of flow for me. I chose to go with two smaller ones instead of the larger rw8 to help reduce dead spots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am currently battling a cyano outbreak and I have tried almost all of the usual actions (less light/food, more waterchanges, etc...). My parameters are currently: nitrate 5 ppm, and phosphate is 0.05 ppm. I am wanting to increase the flow in my DT next.

I have a 46 gallon acrylic bowfront with a 20L sump. The return pump is an Eheim Compact+ 2000 (528 gal/hr w/o head losses) and I have 2 opposing Hydor Koralia Nano 425 PHs (425 gal/hr each). I feel like the Koralia are not producing enough flow in the DT and I was wanting to replace them with better PHs. The tank is lightly stocked currently with only 2 clowns, a yellow tail damsel, 4 different zoas, and a green BTA, along with CUC. However I am planning on LPS and SPS in the future once the tank has matured enough (9 months old now) and I win the war on this cyano...

I like the features that Vortech MP10s offer, just not the price :cry:. I was shopping around and came across Jebao as another feature rich wavemaker.

My question is this, which size would you guys suggest for a 46 gallon bowfront? Two RW 4s or two RW 8s?

I know this is an older thread but did you make a choice? RW-4 or RW-8? I have a 56 gallon tank and I need at least one new powerhead. Think the RW-4 but not sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know this is an older thread but did you make a choice? RW-4 or RW-8? I have a 56 gallon tank and I need at least one new powerhead. Think the RW-4 but not sure.
I went with 2 RW-4's on opposite sides of my 46 gallon bowfront. I run them both at 100% on W1 to create a standing wave in the tank. I am very happy with them, but for a 56 gallon, they might be a little undersized, depending on your livestock and sump return rate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts