The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share this:

I'ts a dual chamber calcium reactor. I would say it could handle up to a 600 gallon system. I made it for my friend that owns www.innovativelights.com. It's made out of acrylic and pvc mostly. I took the best elements of the korallin and k2r reactors when i designed this bad boy.

I tested the flow and this thing rocks. There should be little to none CO2 waste. I also made a single chambered unit for another friend of mine. He's used it for a few months now and said it works awesome.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
really nice!!!

did you use just off the shelf parts? as off the shelf as clear acrylic cylinders are.

how does the CO2 get into the reactor? it looks like the acrylic box is more of a stand than a water chamber, correct? but the bubble counter looks like it feeds directly into the box. it does look very efficient.

great job.

G~

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey great lookin dual updraft reactor you made there. Let us know how it performs! It looks like you are quite the craftsman. I especially like the drain at the bottom, that is a handy feature!

G~ If you look closely you can see a blue tube going from the top of the bubble counter and it goes behind the right cylinder and then down below and it connects on the pvc tube on the right. So the CO2 goes thru the intake of the pump to be chopped up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the praise. those are basically off the shelf parts. the acrylic tubes were purchased from taps plastics (locally). All the other parts were purchased from either a local place called urban farmer or home depot. This design should be highly efficient. The Co2 injected into the small port next to the one for the influx from the sump. You can see them on the right side in the pic. I put it on this side of the pump because now, it will pass through the impeller of the pump and the CO2 bubbles will be broken up further. I'm probably going to make some more of these guys for the local hobbiests :)

·
Retired Wanderer
17,640 Posts
That is really nice. The photo did a lot of justice but what is really needed for one of these.

I am pretty handy and have a decent engineering background and have a plastics vendor that can make the pieces, but I am not really hip on the way the entire system works.

Can anyone link me something really specific about volumes, CO2 requirements and any sort of metrics to make sure a DIY system is performing.

Thanks,

Phishnoob :beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.