The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of I have read How to "cook" your rock thread and it didnt answer my question. I got about 30lbs of rock from my uncle and he had ick and hair algae. The rock has been out of his tank (a couple months) and is very dry. Everything on it is dry and dead. I was hoping to use it to start my 55g tank after I scubbed it real good with hot hot water. Do u think since it is dry and everything is dead I could just start using it? If not do u think taking it to the car wash and using the pressure washer work? I have a HOB octopus skimmer and a 30g sump and planning on getting a Emporer 400 filter and 15-20lbs of cured lr from my LFS when I do add RO/DI water and salt.:confused:
 

·
My reef tanks my wallet.
Joined
·
925 Posts
I had something similar, except my rock was sitting in a bucket for 10years outside. I dipped in muric acid for a few seconds each to take off the top layer of calcium deposits. Then soaked in bleach solution for a day. Then let dry out completely with a fan on them for a week. Then I cooked them for about a month but only changed the water once a week. The rocks are working great now.

At a minimum you want to bleach them to break down any cellular creatures.

Careful with scrubbing in hot water if there are any dead polyps on them....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
All you have to do is cure it. I'm curing dry rock right now. Just put it in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead and let it sit for a month. Test your ammonia and nitrite levels and wait til all levels are zero then you can use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
polyps are poisonous and their toxins can spread through the steam into your lungs. Lungs fill up with blood and you die... pretty serious shizzzz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Sorry for the triple post but I keep thinking of things. Don't use any sort of cleaning solution besides bleach. The solution could harm your fish later on. Be safe and just cure it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,591 Posts
If its dead rock that was in a tank it will have lots of organics in the rock that needs to be removed. I bleach rock but it has to be pure bleach. This will oxidize most of the organics. You then rinse very well and then soak in water with dechlorinator. Then rinse and let dry. Some people will do an additional step and soak in vinegar which is believed to remove the outer shell which will remove more of the phosphates.
 

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a clorine system for my water since I have sulfer water and I use pool clorine in it. It is like 12.5% - 15% sodium chloride. Will that work better or worse then bleach for say washing machine?

So after I soak it in bleach and use a power washer then I can just cook it or should I use vinegar then cook it? Or can I use it after I power wash it (or rinse it) after the vinegar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
You technically shouldn't be "cooking" it, you should be curing it... there's a difference. Don't cook it, just clean it with bleach (not sure if the bleach you mentioned will work cus I don't know what the difference is, household bleach is what everyone uses), let it dry out. Then put it in a tub or tank of saltwater by itself with a power head for a month and watch as the levels come down to zero then you can use it in any display tank you want.

I don't know that I would us a power washer either, if it's really light and porous you might break the rock.
 

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bleach Im talking about is what you use in a pool. It is like 2x the strength of household bleach. From what you just said is basicly cooking it since it is by itself with out other LR or sand. Am I correct on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
This is from one of the first few posts in the cooking rock thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat
Didn't this used to known as "curing" rock, or am I thinking of something else? It's been a while...

no cured rock has been allowed to go through the basic Nitrogen cycle, ie ,the die off produces a lot of ammonia that convert to nitrite, then to nitrate and is safe to stick in a reef tank with out major catastrophe off the bat, but the phosphates released and then adsorbed during the cure that support the algae blooms are the issue. Biologically ridding the rock of help phosphates is the goal of "cookin" the rock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Okay so my research around here shows that you DO need to cook the rock to get rid of the hair algae. I just read your first post again and saw that you have the algae problem. Good luck with it, sounds nasty =P
Just remember about the dangers of the polyps and hot hot water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,466 Posts
Don't forget the point of cooking rock, there are nutrients bound in the Calcium Carbonate such as Phosphate, CaCO3(PO4)2..... I think.

now this bound PO4 is in the structure itself, thats why some people dissolve the outside of the rock with acid, but depending on how much is bound up, you could take a basketball size rock and turn it into a golf ball, cleaning the surface is good (within reason, and safely done) but its not like taking paint of a car, in like taking the steel mesh out of a tire...

now there is nothing wrong with the rock, you just need to understand what needs to be done, and what the affects will be with this rock, or any other rock you add.

the bacteria will feed on these bound nutrients and free them, that is why its important to change ALL the water (fresh water and another container, along with a good rinse in the old water) when cooking rock, make sure you take out as much "junk" as you can. Bactria are fast, but still it takes awhile to "cook" rock properly, this is not a chemical reaction that can be sped up with acid or "hot water", its biological.

another pint is, ich dose not hit very healthy and stable systems (it can but there is usually something off, and maybe we don't know what it is). in other words if you get ich, you need to look for the cause, not just treat the symptoms IME...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
47,203 Posts
the ich that was problematic in the old tank the rock was in is not going to survive on the dry rock
 

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when will I know it is safe to use as LR? When there are no nitrates in the "cooking" bucket or no more stuff on bottom of it?
 

·
Pro 2nd Amendment
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so if I am understanding all of this and "How to cook your LR" I should soak the rock in bleach for 12-24hrs, rinse it off, let it dry, and the put it in something with saltwater, powerhead, and maybe a heater. Dump/change the water every week to every other week. Then when there is very little crap on the bottom it will be ready.
I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering should I use a HOB filter? My LFS says you should always use one for the carbon. He thinks that people that dont are mistaken. He isnt trying to sell me anything but when I ask him about it he says you should. I am going to have a reef tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Since no one has responded: when you're cooking your rock, do it with minimal lighting and somewhere preferably that isn't in your house (it stinks to high heavens!) I don't think you need a heater (unless you're cooking outside where it'll freeze) but whether you use one or not, it's not going to hurt anything. Do water changes and siphon or scoop out the detritus to help the cycle go faster (otherwise you'll be waiting for the detritus to cycle when you could just get rid of it and be done with it) Use a power head and if you really want to use a filter you can but I kind of consider it a waste of filter but... whatever, you might be surprised. As far as a filter in your display tank, I always recommend it but many on this forum don't. As long as you change it out frequently, you're safe. But like I said, many will disagree which is why you should do your own research and find out what's best for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
ok im lost now cooking curing bleaching :S some say just clean the rock with hot water some say cook it, i bout myself 10kg of dry rocks that use to be in a reef tank, what do i do b4 starting my tank? cook, bleach, hot water of vinegar my rocks please im soo confuse :(
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top