The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been thinking about drilling my tank in the back in 1 or 2 spots and ditching my U-tube style overflow box. (the one if have just wont flow enough and i'd prefer not to slow the water down anymore). i could try to shorten/straighten out my drain lines back to the sump to let it flow better but i wanted to get some opinions if i decide to drill instead. my original thought was to just have pvc coming through the bulkhead in the back, with an elbow and go up to the water surface (with some kind of screen/dome/or slot the pvc), but i searched some threads and saw many people recommending still having an inside box type overflow. (which would kind of defeat my purpose for wanting to get rid of the box). i would rather just see a single pvc pipe going up to the top instead of the box and i figured i would also not have to worry about any potential problem in the future with the utube style overflow failing. is there a disadvantage for me just doing pvc with an elbow and up to the surface? would this create more noise than having a box?

next question, if i drill, what size bulkhead(s) should i use? (if i use one, and also if i use 2). i'd rather know that i have more than enough drain flow

thanks for your advice

btw its a 125 tank and a velocity t4 return pump

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do you guys have it on the inside of the tank? any kind of inside box or wall or just a pipe/pipes going to the surface?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are several reasons many people use internal overflow boxes. My main one is that lots of stuff you don't want in your tank floats to the top. The overflow box creates a larger area for the overflow to work on, which means more of the water flowing into the box is from the surface, versus from deeper in the tank.

In my tank I built a coast to coast overflow box with a bean animal style drain system. I highly advise looking into it. My coast to coast box is clear acrylic, and really dosen't distract too much in my system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts