The Reef Tank banner

Drilling a 55gal?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  gouch 
#1 ·
i have a standard 4x2x1' 55gal. i just bought an overflow box but would like to drill my tank if i can so my first question is......if the bottom says tempered glass does that mean that the sides are to?

then i ask if i can drill it where do the holes go?
do they both go at the top, or staggered?

then how do i go about this?:help:

#2 ·
generally it is just the bottom that is tempered. A set of UV blocking sunglasses like Raybans will show the difference.

Most folks drill close to the top, there are a few options. I have never done it though, someone more in the know on plumbing will come along sooner or later :)

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure almost all newer 55's are tempered on all panes...there are some tricks using polarized sunglasses or even a laptop lcd to double check...I have a link for the laptop trick, but the site is down right now...I'll try to get it later.

#7 ·
I doubt that the sides are tempered, but you can always check with the manufacturer. If it's an All Glass tank, their customer service is really good and can give you an answer over the phone. Drilling a tank is tricky, you have to be patient and have a steady hand. You also will have to keep the bit wet, usually by making a little dam out of modelling clay, or you can have someone hold a hose over it. Even in the best circumstances, you might have a breakage, so be prepared for that. The location of the holes depends on what you are trying to do. Some people do holes for their drain, and some do it for the return as well. Personally, i like to have a drain, but not one for the return. For the drain, you can either have the hole up high, near the surface of the water level, or down low using an overflow. Regardless of where you place the hole, keep in mind that the edge of the hole should not be any closer to the edge of the glass than the diameter of the hole you are drilling.

#10 ·
I'm not surprised...I was just talking to a buddy who owns a LFS, and he specifically said most 55's these days are tempered on all sides and the bottom...apparently it's enough cheaper (ie. thinner glass) to manufacture them this way...trying to drill tempered glass will almost certainly cause it to shatter.

#13 ·
AGA and perfecto 55's ARE tempered!

Also consider not using the filter on that MAG pump.
They become nitrate factories :)

#14 ·
i can see that happening with the filter......there really is no need on the return side if there is a bubble trap or something to prevent my skimmer from microbubbling things up......i dont think thats a word!?!?!

anyway i found this link www.melevsreef.com/sump.html
seems to be a good idea this guy used for his overflow.. ill have to do the same.

#15 ·
i can see that happening with the filter......there really is no need on the return side if there is a bubble trap or something to prevent my skimmer from microbubbling things up......i dont think thats a word!?!?!

anyway someone showed me this link www.melevsreef.com/sump.html
seems to be a good idea this guy used for his overflow.. ill have to do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.