The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I have a question. I have a guy in my area that is going to help me drill my 125 gal (I believe it is a standard All-Glass 125).

He is talking about drilling the back for my overflow (I would think we should drill the bottom).

I have no idea what I am doing and I am relying on him to do this right. Am I going to get a lot of gurgling if we have an overflow with a 90 degree through the glass? What is the proper way this should be done?

You help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Chances are the bottom is tempered glass and would shatter if drilling is attempted. You will have to check with the manufacturer to see if the back is tempered. There shouldn't be any more noise with the 90 degree elbow than with another design.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
If that is an AGA 125 the Bottom is Tempered and if you even attempt to drill it the glass will go off like a shotgun! (Not good)

My 50G is drilled through the back top actually,.. I did it this way so I didn't need an overflow box and I don't get any gurgling out of it. (I don't reccomend this BTW)

If it were me I would drill the back toward the bottom and use 2 90's like you were thinking,.. by using a Durso, or a "Gurgle buster" you will be able to take care of the noise just like if you were drilled through the bottom.

Also,.. I would make sure to make your drain huge,.. that way if you ever want to upgrade return flow you can,.. I would also make the drains themselfs sized to drain double what you will be actually returning,... that way little ploggs won't make a flood.

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have heard some differing opinions about tempered glass. I spoke to Mark at Blue Zoo yesterday and he said they can and have drilled tempered glass before (especially the thicker stuff), but I will not attempt it if you guys think I won't have too much noise from the 90's.

I am planning on getting a Mag 9.5 for my return.

How big are you talking for the drain? 2" ??

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
I was just planning on one drain, do you suggest more? I would use the Mag 9.5 wide open, I think, as my return.
What I always do is if I have a return pump returning 600GPH,.. I have 2 drains each capeable of draining at least 600 GPH,.. so if one clogs for whatever reason the other can take the full drain.

In your case I would probably do 2*1.25 drains just to be on the safe side.

Yes, I know it's major overkill,.. but the drain size can't be easily changed later, so I like to make it huge if I can.

If you are going to do only one drain I would make it at least 1.5 inches, this will drain 1,300 GPH,.. Yes I know,.. overkill, but you may thank yourself later ;) It's only a few bucks more to make a huge one over a small one.

Whiskey

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I always do is if I have a return pump returning 600GPH,.. I have 2 drains each capeable of draining at least 600 GPH,.. so if one clogs for whatever reason the other can take the full drain.

In your case I would probably do 2*1.25 drains just to be on the safe side.

Yes, I know it's major overkill,.. but the drain size can't be easily changed later, so I like to make it huge if I can.

If you are going to do only one drain I would make it at least 1.5 inches, this will drain 1,300 GPH,.. Yes I know,.. overkill, but you may thank yourself later ;) It's only a few bucks more to make a huge one over a small one.

Whiskey
Will the tank take care of itself (meaning if I am capable of returning 1300 GPH and my return is only capable of 900 GPH - will the tank regulate so they are in sync?) Is there some adjustment I would need to make to make sure this all works out?

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
Will the tank take care of itself (meaning if I am capable of returning 1300 GPH and my return is only capable of 900 GPH - will the tank regulate so they are in sync?) Is there some adjustment I would need to make to make sure this all works out?
Remember that the overflow box is going to set the water hight in your tank,.. only the water flowing over the top of the overflow box is going to go into the drain itself.

Think of it like your sink,.. it can drain much faster than the focet puts out water,.. but it can only drain the water it gets.

Whiskey

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Thanks guys. I have heard some differing opinions about tempered glass. I spoke to Mark at Blue Zoo yesterday and he said they can and have drilled tempered glass before (especially the thicker stuff), ...
This is total BS. You cannot drill tempered glass. Once you hit a stress-point in it, it shatters.

I have a glass 125 that I'm thinking of drilling for a CLS and a 'ghetto' coast to coast. The bottom is tempered but the back should not be so I think you're fine drilling the back as well.

As a matter of fact, I contacted AGA and they explicitly said the bottoms are tempered but the others are not unless it's a HUGE tank....contact them yourself just to verify.

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,238 Posts
I wish my drains worked like that...lol, they don't drain too fast. But I get the picture. So make the overflow more than the return and you are good, the other way around and you've got problems!
You've got it! :)

It's only on HOB overflow boxes that you have to run close to the max,.. that's just because air will build up in the Utube if you don't.

Whiskey

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
oh yea...i'd recommend at LEAST 1.5 inch drains. Durso's work best on 1.25" or better according to his site. Like Wiskey said, you want big drains to be able to handle return flow ;) Plus the bigger the drain, the quiter they are because air has room to move easier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.