The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Please Please, can someone help? I screwed up. I'm setting up a new aquarium and I got a fresh water tank and drilled an overflow drain in the side (I know it should have been the bottom so please don't rub in).

I can't get the drain to work. It is as attached photo shows but all I can get is a trickle down the pipe. The pipe is 20mm internal diameter but it won't keep up with the sump pump which just pumps the sump dry.

Can anyone help offer an easy fix?

Really appreciate any help as I am at the point of taking a hammer to it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate, no pump is crap. The problem seems to be something with air-locking. It worked ok once when I went straight to silicone pipe with no elbow just made a horrible gurgling noise that I tried to cure, but created more problems in the process.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Your drain is taking in more water than you are pumping back from the sump. That's a good thing in a way. If the drain can't handle the gph of your return pump then you either flood the display by a rise in your DT and/or burn out the pump that runs dry or catches air and cavititates in the sump..

You did right not to drill your drain in the bottom. With a power out situation, your tank would drain to empty.

Do you want a higher level in your DT and maybe a bit less noise? Install a slip 90 to the bulkhead.

·
CntntEdtr for Aquarist.Me
2,407 Posts
CH his problem is opposite what you read... his drain can't keep up with his pump...

OP you need an adjustable pump and or extra drain lines... You may want to consider adding an overflow box to skim the surface

·
Watchful Goby
321 Posts
Yeah, an overflow box would be a good thing.

It looks like there's a whole lot of unnecessary restriction going on with the plumbing. Why not couple the bulkhead directly to an elbow the same diameter of the bulkhead? Then couple the elbow to the flex tube with some silicone or hose clamp or something. With the barb fittings, it looks like flow is being restricted down to 10mm or less. Using couplings would ensure there is no restriction below the diameter of the pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
how far is the hole from the top of the tank? as Sparta suggested, id also recommend some sort of overflow box. what you have right now, just an open pipe, may suck fish/inverts down into the sump.

imo, the best solution may be to plug that hoe and look at something like a www.glass-holes.com overflow for the tank. just get a box that is rated for more than what your return will be and you are set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts