The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the topic of drainpipes...

I have a 1 1/2" PVC pipe draining into my sump(skimmer chamber) and needless to say with such a small sump (25g - 10g of it a refuge) I have a huge microbubbble problem. So to break the waterflow up a little what would be my best choice..

1) Keep the 1 1/2" pipe
2) Split the pipe into 2 1" drains
3) Make the 1 1/2" Pipe into a spraybar

Or any other sugesstions:

My friend also suggested I add a T off the 1 1/2" pipe and have it direct up to let some air pressure out...

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
how much flow is going through the sump? you may be able to put a sponge around the pump to trap some of the bubbles. you must wash out the sponge regularly in order to keep it from becomming a nitrate factory. the smaller the sump the harder it is to remove the bubbles from the water before the return pump returns the water.

G~

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
you might try a U shape fitting on the end and let it bubble out like an artesian well so the air dissapates

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
I didnt get a pic of mine when it was in place but easy to do with a few elbows ans short piece of pipe to connect them, zip ties are handy to support it :)
its a cheap try at any rate

·
Administrator
47,633 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I have been busy with other things. Anyway to answer the question, I took off the mag18 and swapped for a Mag5 thru only one 1" bulkhead. Just trying something different, then I had my accident and havent been able to do anything with it :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts