The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to empty the skimmer cup once a week.

Then I was told I needed to empty it once a day ... so I turned it up.

Then I hated emptying it once a day, so I plumbed a drain hose in the cup and stuck it in the drain like it was a washing machine.

Then I quickly discovered that when a skimmer freaks out, it will drain your sump reserve in about 35 minutes, make your pump suck air, and you never have enough ready made saltwater to put it back quickly.

So how does one make a self emptying skimmer that will not allow so much dumping that the summp runs dry?

In my machine automation world, I just need a solenoid valve on the drain, a full skimmer sensor, and I program the controler not to dump a full skimmer more than 4 times a day, no matter what. And also to send me an email that it is filling too rapidly so I can fix it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
A aqua controller can be hooked up to a float swith so when your jug that your collection cup drains to gets full it shuts down the skimmer or many other things. Not familiar with the apex but probly can txt or email you when it gets full.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yeah... its tough. my suggestion, do the cleaning once a week. thats about the right amount of time. i also have the " going out of town hose" but i try to rarely use it even though my skimmer is pretty dependable. i have the consistancy of my skimmer set to be emptied every 5-6 days. IMO its better. just my opinion. once a day seems to much not only that but Do you clean the skimmer neck once a day??? just making the skim overflow into another container doesnt help the efficieny of the skimmer if your only actually cleaning it once a week. the skim has already been removed. its the neck that has to be cleaned.. not the cup.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Alot of people use this method and to my knowledge it is not as effective. They call it wet skimming. I Drain my CC every 3rd day and wash it. For the most part to get adequate skimming you need to have a good foam head or dry skimming. This is the best way I can put it. It works great for me.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
You can use a skimmit collection container that shuts off when it gets full. This will limit the amount of water the skimmer can pull from the system in the event of an equipment malfunction.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i would empty my 1 liter collection container twice a day. that was about 2 liters a day. i would empty it at a certain time every day, so some times it was full, other times it was not, but i would empty it anyway. this was on a 125g display with about 50g of other water in the pipes.

skimmate should be a tea colored liquid.

G~

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
i would empty my 1 liter collection container twice a day. that was about 2 liters a day. i would empty it at a certain time every day, so some times it was full, other times it was not, but i would empty it anyway. this was on a 125g display with about 50g of other water in the pipes.

skimmate should be a tea colored liquid.

G~
mine is more like black coffee

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
mine is more like black coffee
Same here.
I don't know how much liquid my collection cup holds, but it's 10" in diameter with a 5.5" riser pipe in the center. It's about half full every weekend when I clean it out. It stinks up the whole house when I do it too.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
Same here.
I don't know how much liquid my collection cup holds, but it's 10" in diameter with a 5.5" riser pipe in the center. It's about half full every weekend when I clean it out. It stinks up the whole house when I do it too.
I get about 1/3 cup full. It almost gags me when I pour it out. I try to get my girl to smell it but she wont...

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here.
Is 5.5" the diameter of the riser pipe or the height of the riser pipe? We need to know both.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Is 5.5" the diameter of the riser pipe or the height of the riser pipe? We need to know both.
It's 5.5" in diameter.

I really don't need to know how much it holds, because I never let it get full. I have to tilt it to get it out from under the tank. If it was full, skimmit would go everywhere. That would just be nasty.:nuts:

See..... You made me go do the math.:rolleyes: It's approximately 0.59 gallons. That's skimmit at about 2.5" deep, inside a 10" diameter collection cup, with a 5.5" hole in the center.

That's a whole bunch of coffee looking stank in a weeks time.:agree:

·
Berginator, The
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's 5.5" in diameter.

I really don't need to know how much it holds, because I never let it get full. I have to tilt it to get it out from under the tank. If it was full, skimmit would go everywhere. That would just be nasty.:nuts:

See..... You made me go do the math.:rolleyes: It's approximately 0.59 gallons. That's skimmit at about 2.5" deep, inside a 10" diameter collection cup, with a 5.5" hole in the center.

That's a whole bunch of coffee looking stank in a weeks time.:agree:

Aawwww ... I was gonna do the math for you while eating supper ... now I'll have to pay attention to the family.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have never plumbed mine for this reason. I empty once a week and usually 10 to 15. Minutes after a sand cleaning water change as that usually pisses it off...

Any shutoff got complicated so fast I stuck with simple = better strategy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts