The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the build...or more yet the growth thread of my 55g(long). Im a novice that reads constantly for knowledge on reefing. This enjoyable and the start of my future. Some might have read futher and went :confused:? Reason why I stated future is because Im working towards becoming a Marine Biologist. Now I shall, continue to get back on track with the aspects of my 55g reef build(growth).

Lights:
Nova Extreme Fixture 2x54w
1-10,000k
1- actinic

2xStock light fixtures 15w each
2- actinic lights with a 42nm(im assuming thats the par)

Fish:
2 maroon clowns had for about 4 months
female-2.5" inches
male- 1.5" inches

Inverts
1 Pink Tip Condy
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Peppermint shrimp
3 Left-handed Hermits
1 Gulf of Mexico Hermit
1 Coral Beauty 3.5" inches

1 Canary Wrasse 3" inches

1 Engineer Goby 5"

Corals

Xenia- 5 stalks multiple polyps on each 10+
Purchased 1 as a frag and lfs noob gave me all 5 stalks.I recall about 5+ polyps i will say on them at that time.

Mushrooms
red,green, Watermelon, and a purple and blue mushroom

GSP(green star polyps
2 different version the common green ones, and 1 that is kinda light brown w/ a actinic green glow!

Zoas+ Palys

3 types
1 set of green and orange color way paid 5.00 @ lfs got nearly 6-12 polyps on branching lr

1 set of browns paid price of 1 .lb of lr

1 set of what I are J.I Joe zoas

1 set if bright peach colored palys recovering for my puffer incident

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My Fts as of 06/01/2009

green item towards the mid left was a piece of algae I purchased it from lfs for 10.00...upon researching its Maiden's hair...upon being in my reef for 3 months it currently host amphipods. My Emerald crab grazes on it from time to time.

Also My aquacultured(captive breed) Maroon is hosting...for some reason only the male and not the female. Host pictured below is a Pink Tip Condy Anemone. Yes I know the nem is bleached. I purchased him when he looked alot worst he is coloring up very well imo.

Also this is a Close-up of the dragon that you can see in the fts...i use it as a lr riser. My hermits usually let the coralline grow to a extent than clean it off.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dragon is a aquarium decoration sold at Petsmart. Listed below is the description listed on petsmart.com. I received as a gift for Christmas gift after parents seen my tank. Hence my name is listed as Dragonist(pronouced Drag-kon-ist)(lame I know i created it), if have always liking of dragons. I drew them looked at movies etc etc... But back to the dragon in my reef(not much of 1 now) here is the description from the site.

Top Fin® Horizontal Balinese Dragon with Airstone Aquarium Ornament

Product Description: Item: 2752278
This ancient dragon may look menacing sitting at the bottom of your tank, but your tank denizens will enjoy the fact he breaths bubbles and not fire! Safe for saltwater and freshwater tanks.

Other information not listed in the description. The dragon has 2 open locations. First is it's mouth and underneath it is also a whole are the locations. I had to close the bottom one with super glue+lr pieces at the bottom. For the mouth i used torn plastic(kind fish come in for lfs) + super glue again. Reason why I did this you ask? I did it due to I never seen my Engineer Goby A.K.A "Goby". He would pop out sometimes to grab food, and that was a rare for that to occure.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also in my post I mention the puffer incident, well I'm going to elaborate on the instance. Well this occured with me adding a Stars and Stripes puffer which i will label as BADpuffer. Upon the research on the BADpuffer I only located info that only problem that can occure with is eatting of other fish or inverts. Eatting of fish or inverts never occured with in the week of BADpuffer in the tank. BADpuffer eat mysis shrimp and frozen krill with ease. Upon returning from work I cam home with my multiples eating. A green mushroom, Watermelon shroom shredded, a red shroom, palys partially eatting, cinnamon zoas, grn orange zoas, and a large amount of polyps of a Xenia stalk. Her is a pic of BADpuffer first night of him in the tank settling down for sleep.

REASON ADDED WIFE WANTED HIM SOO BAD I TRIED HIM!

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah BADpuffer got it, literaly. When I went to get the frag container( plastic container with holes) to hold him. My wife got a hanger and whipped him!

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
I have a feeling he meant hanger, like in the old Mommie Dearest movie but then again he may not be old enough to remember that either. :funny:
LOL!

As someone who spent much of his life growing up in England, to me it sounds like she beat the poor fish with a breakfast sausage.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aquawolf was correct due to my awesome typing skills i hit the b instead of the h! I can remember it now...BADPUFFER...BADPUFFER...hanger hanger hanger....BADpuffer curled his tell up and went in the a lr cave...than i put him in a frag cage!

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weds shall be awesome...with the exception i need to goto work. But I need money so no complaints, so off to work @ 9. Also my corals have been confirmed arrive in dallas,texas office @ 1am. So they should be @ my home upon arriving from work @ 8pm. Also due to everyone wants to know what I have coming is 1 green toadstool, eagle eys zoas, yuma,green blue ric, and a Cabbage Leather!I will post pics asap!

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also another detail of my tank are my plates. I bet someone read that and went WHA! Well they are a set of blood red and black plates split down the middle. They are a residence to alot of copepods, amphipods, and Stomatella Varia. My Enginer goby from time to time also goes behid them when not in 1 of his many burrows. The main use for the plates are another lr riser which displays this use in the pictures below.(they are coralline covered and slime algea cover also) They are positioned on both sides of the tank. I have a quest to get a zoa plate started...hehe

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My corals received

All the corals look good except the yuma mushroom!

Green Ricordea

Eagle Eye Zoas

Yuma

Dual Toadstool

Cabbage Leather

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to hear about the yuma. You have a pretty cool tank...got any recent full tank shots? Also if your interested in RBTA's I may have a cheap connection for them. A LFS by my house is ordering several small 1's and they usually sell on the cheap side!

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to hear about the yuma. You have a pretty cool tank...got any recent full tank shots? Also if your interested in RBTA's I may have a cheap connection for them. A LFS by my house is ordering several small 1's and they usually sell on the cheap side!
I'll try to get a better fts....and thanks for the compliments Fishfarmer and Loverotties!

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
The green Florida ric already has 2 mouths and the crease where it looks like it will be splitting for you very soon. The Yuma ric definitely looks ticked off about something, but hopefully it will adjust soon and get back to looking normal for you. Was the yuma on the snail shell in the same shape? Polyp extension on the green toadstools is also a very good sign and they will extend much further and look quite a bit bigger than that as well.

I hope you are happy with that assortment of corals.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts