The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I will probably get a lot of grief for still having this guy but I wanted to try a few things before returning him. I have a 24 gallon with about 40 lbs of live rock that is about a year old with a decent pod population. I have also been hatching brine shrimp once a week and adding it. In the two weeks that I have had him he has picked up weight and is a busy little guy. I would like your honest opinion on this. I will give him to lfs before letting him starve. Will he be okay as long as I keep the feeding like I am? It was my ignorance for not doing more research on this guy before impulse buy. I feel it is my responsibility to care for him and do love the little guy.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Newly hatched brine is nutritious. I do wonder if feeding him once a week is enough, though. You say he has fattened up? That's certainly a good sign!

Will your LFS be able to take care of him any better than you are? And what kind of dragonette is he?

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
sounds like you have answered your own questions sorta...
the brine is not doing a whole lot for him other than filling his belly , try adding some flake food soon or other frozen foods. he should clean out the pods in no time unless you can get him on other foods soon..

if and only if you can get him on other foods and he does not have to compete with others for food will he make it

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was sold to me as a scooter blenny. He is camoflaged. If I notice a big drop in pods I can feed the brine more often. Planning to post pics as soon as my vision service comes back up. He is definately fatter, I didn't realize how skinny he was. He used to have a waste line and it gone. Plan to post a pic once I can get my phone to send it.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer the other question if I do end up returning him it wont be to the one I got it from. I have found a very good lfs but its about 45 min from me. They said they would take him if the baby brine didn't work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
uh oh I just got one yesterday, also I did not do my research on him as I liked the way he looked, so what am I looking at here, why is it that you want to take him to the LFS, is it hard to keep him fed and if so what does he like the most to eat?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
jenajet said:
He was sold to me as a scooter blenny. He is camoflaged. If I notice a big drop in pods I can feed the brine more often. Planning to post pics as soon as my vision service comes back up. He is definately fatter, I didn't realize how skinny he was. He used to have a waste line and it gone. Plan to post a pic once I can get my phone to send it.
The Scooter Blennies have a reputation as being more likely to eat prepared foods. Just take your time with him and everything should be fine.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read they should be kept in well establish tank at least 30 gallons with substantial pod population. My tank is only 24 gallons and he may eat the pods faster than they multiply. This is why I began hatching the brine shrimp to suppliment and hopefully provide him with substantial food supply. So far its all I can get him to eat and still doing research.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a great pic. Plan to get some more of whole tank hope to get a better of Skooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Not for nothing I kept mine too. I started to feed live brine shrimp through the week. I feed the brime shrimp Cyclopeeze in attempt to give them a nutritionalboost. The Manderine took to the brine shrimp and I also feed Mysis shrimp (frozen prepaired) at the same time. I noticed the little guy eating both the brine shrimp and the mysis shrimp.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
jenajet said:
I have read they should be kept in well establish tank at least 30 gallons with substantial pod population. My tank is only 24 gallons and he may eat the pods faster than they multiply. This is why I began hatching the brine shrimp to suppliment and hopefully provide him with substantial food supply. So far its all I can get him to eat and still doing research.
its not nessesarily the size of the tank that matters, but more importantly, the amount of live rock, the more rock you have, the better chance a good population of pods will co-exist in the tank with the dragonet. with 40 lbs you might be ok, do you have a fuge? that might help keep your pod population up.

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
if you want to get him to eat flakes/pellets then ive got a trick you could try. Get a small jar and fill it with pellets then place the jar in an area that he visits a lot and he might go in and have a bite. Give it a try. be sure to have the jar on its side.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info. No I don't have a fuge and wouldn't know where to begin to try and add one to an aquapod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts