The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I came across a video of a known LFS interviewing Dr Tim about his One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria product.

I know most everyone here recommends the store bought shrimp method for kicking off a new tank cycle, but wondered if others had used this and what you thought.

Also, I'd like to hear otherwise, used it or not thought about it...
Thanks

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I came across something that stated dr.tims bacteria was mainly heterotrophic bacteria and not much autotrophic bacteria, the autotrophic bacteria are the ones that consume ammonia for process through the nitrogen cycle and heterotrophic bacteria actually create the ammonia. I'll have to find this, I have it bookmarked at home on my laptop but I'm at work right now on my phone. But in other words what I'm trying to say is dr.tims is snake oil.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I don't think I could ever trust bottle bacteria on it's own to cycle a tank, but maybe in addition to a regular cycle after a fish is added as a kind of safety net to make sure the bacteria is abundant enough? What's the difference between something like Dr. Tims and Stability and Microbacter? All the same thing with different names?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, according to the video numerous city aquariums use his product. Also, he states that his product is different from other competitors which use the same approach as used in city water treatment plants and that his research led him to create the same bacteria found in ocean water...just saying what I saw and heard.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Hmmm, according to the video numerous city aquariums use his product. Also, he states that his product is different from other competitors which use the same approach as used in city water treatment plants and that his research led him to create the same bacteria found in ocean water...just saying what I saw and heard.
Is it supposed to be an ammonia source to kick off the cycle or some way to "speed it up"?

Can you test for it? jkjk

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here you go, straight from the source and then tested by Mr Saltwater Tank who I do trust:
https://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI
That's exactly the very video I spoke of...in the end he thinks the product is worthwhile and then trys it at home where he adds some clowns into a tank after having used Dr Tims.

Thank you eric3316

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I must be old school. I don't think I would ever use anything but the normal process and time to cycle a tank. It just doesn't make sense that anything could be better balanced and more effective than letting things run on their own course and time frame. We are already taking a process of nature and Frankenstiening it into a small box that limits the natural process. It doesn't seem like a good thing to alter that even more. Just seems like too delicate of a balance to try and alter it in any way.
That said, I realize this is likely an antiquated view to some.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Okay Eric. Ya got me. I do like it when people back things up with home experiments. Looks like Dr. Tim got it right and looks good. Although i also wouldn't suggest adding fish right away, I would go with dosing the tank with .5 ppm ammonia because that's how high Mr.Saltwaters tank got to with the two clowns (no more 2ppm cycles!!). Not that anyone cares but it has my seal of approval lmao.

now seriously, this is a good experiment that shows dosing ammonia to 2ppm is way over what we need when dosing ammonia for a cycle. .5ppm to 1ppm then ghost feed every few days or so should be good.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Okay Eric. Ya got me. I do like it when people back things up with home experiments. Looks like Dr. Tim got it right and looks good. Although i also wouldn't suggest adding fish right away, I would go with dosing the tank with .5 ppm ammonia because that's how high Mr.Saltwaters tank got to with the two clowns (no more 2ppm cycles!!). Not that anyone cares but it has my seal of approval lmao.

now seriously, this is a good experiment that shows dosing ammonia to 2ppm is way over what we need when dosing ammonia for a cycle. .5ppm to 1ppm then ghost feed every few days or so should be good.
I totally agree about dosing with ammonia if you are going to use this stuff. If you do that and your tank cycles within a few days then why not just go with it? I believe if something works, even though you think it shouldn't does not mean it is not legit.

We know what steps need to happen and be measured with a cycle. If those steps take place in a shorter amount of time then why would people still not want to go that route? Yes it is awesome if you can cycle a tank in a week with dry rock and sand. Yes, awesome!

If someone had great coraline covered live rocks from an established tank dropped into their tank without ever leaving water and they saw no cycle would people say that is not possible? Should you still wait a month even though your tank can wipe out a dosing of ammonia in 24 hours.

I happen to really enjoy Mr. Saltwater's video and watch plenty of them. His videos are a great resource to reefers. When I saw he did the experiment at the end it I was like here is a reliable source testing it out and not just taking someone's word for it. Very good stuff.

As for him using real fish, I know he hates to hear about people cycling tanks with live fish and never recommends it so I know if anything got out of hand he would have removed those fish from the tank immediately.

Now dosing to .5ppm, if I was going to does ammonia I would probably does a little higher then that just to be safe and see how strong that bacteria really is. When dosing pure ammonia you know exactly the amount of ammonia that goes into the tank, when people use shrimp to start the cycle, does anyone know what level of ammonia your tank can hit with that method? If you say not more then .5ppm then sure sound legit but if people see their ammonia spike to 1ppm with fresh shrimp then maybe that is a better number to shoot for.

Also remember that Mr Saltwater Tank only saw hos ammonia hit .5ppm when tested but how do we know it never hit a higher number for a short time before dropping to that.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
So basically you're still cycling with a shrimp, ammonia or fish. This is just supposed to make it move faster. You're still exposing your fish to ammonia if you add them immediately. And I'm .5 doesn't seem negligible to me - if a tank is properly cycled your fish are never exposed to ammonia. And .5 in a 130 gallons of water seems like a lot to me - would it still be only .5 is someone did this in a biocube? (Edit - okay, thought the video was over when it wasn't. He doesn't recommend the fish be added immediately in a smaller system which makes me feel better. I wonder if Dr. Tims product makes the same disclaimer...).

So basically a normal cycle - you're still testing all the parameters same as a regular cycle waiting for it to 0 out. But this is supposed to take a week instead of two to four. I'm all for anything that makes it safer for the fish but I'm still not sold+.

The mention of shipping problems concerns me. It regularly gets below freezing and above 110 in a shipping container. Do they ship these bottles with cold packs or heat packs?

The whole video came off as more of an infomercial to me than an actual test. I'm wondering if Mr. Saltwater got anything for his endorsement...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well how about someone here with an extra tank, a few bucks and a little bit of time do their own experiment with this stuff by adding it to a tank and then dosing the tank with ammonia to see how long the cycle takes to complete.

Seems pretty easy to find out if it's the real deal or placebo.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hmmm, my new 100g might be a good test tank. Where do I get the ammonia, grocery store?
Yeah, usually in the cleaning isle. It needs to be clear and pure. Non scented. If you shake the bottle no soap suds should form at the top. You might see some bubbles but they shouldn't be soapy looking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts