The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recently downgraded from my 75 gallon into a 29 gallon. I took apart my 260w PC lighting fixture and mounted all of the lighting in a hoood for the 29 gallon. So I now have 8.96 watts/gallon as opposed to 3.46 before. My question is, is that too much lighting? I have some button polyps that are looking kinda bad since the move. Anyway heres a pic of the new setup.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
Watts per gallon is an outdated way to measure adequate lighting. What coral you plan on, tank depth and the type of lighting are factors o consider. Being that you have PC I would say that you are probably okay although there may be a need to acclimate.
The polyps may just be pissed from the move, keep an eye on them and give them time.
You may want to consider a shorter light cycle and gradually increase it. If it sems to be an issue.

· Registered
827 Posts
I have a 29 with a Sunpod 150MH, 260 PC is roughly comparable in my opinion. Be careful with acclimating new corals and fish but other than that I say it's excellent. I'm calling the tang police, that is a lot of LR for a 29 further reducing swimming room.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 29 with a Sunpod 150MH, 260 PC is roughly comparable in my opinion. Be careful with acclimating new corals and fish but other than that I say it's excellent. I'm calling the tang police, that is a lot of LR for a 29 further reducing swimming room.
He is still pretty small and hes my favorite fish. I do feel kinda bad for putting him in there but he seems to be happy just swimming around as normal, he actually doesnt hide as much now as he used to. I plan to sell him once he gets a little bit bigger or if he looks stressed at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.