The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can dose sea hem reef complete directly into my tank or do I need to run it through something. I do not have a sump otherwise I would have used that

·
Reefaholic
2,736 Posts
What is your calcium, alk, and mag at right now? What is your water change regimen? What salt do you use?

You shouldn't really have to dose unless the frogspawn, torch, or SPS are HUGE. Everything should be replenished with water changes.

Have you ever used this before?

from Seachem website said:
you must provide calcium (Reef Complete®) and carbonates (Reef Builder™ or Reef Carbonate™).
seems the "complete" part is a little misleading.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do 20 percent about every 1-2 weeks. I am using scripps iso water from the ocean and mixing with rodi. alk is 7dkh and cal is 340, ph 7.8. my parameters stay the same with nitrates,nitrites, and phos, at 0. I know that it should be taken care of by water changes but its not. I got some phbuffer and reef complete both seachem products.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Calcium and Alk are a bit low.

I used the ESV 2 part but recently switched to the BRS 2 part which helps my PH stay more in the 8.2-8.3 range and is more economical on a 125 gallon DT with ~150 gallon system volume.

I just installed a dosing pump yesterday (Thank you Santa) but previously I was adding the Alk to my top off water and the calcium directly as needed.

DEFINITELY test CONSTANTLY when dosing, and raise the numbers slowly. There are plenty of online calculators out there that will help you. BRS has one on their page..

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i would say your Ca and alk are about right. there is little reason to run higher numbers than natural sea levels. alk at 7, Ca at 400. i would not worry much about changing any of those levels with the corals you have.

trying to keep a mixed reef is a lot more difficult than trying to keep either a nutrient poor system (for SPS) or a nutrient rich system (Xenia, Kenya tree, Zoas, and Ricordia). the nutrient levels that the softies will like, will be toxic to the SPS. it is very difficult to maintain that perfect knife edge where the levels are acceptable for all, but optimal for none (except maybe the LPS).

G~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts