The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering how much of what chemicals and additives should I use and how often to dose my 90 gallon reef tank. And is there any way to not have to buy dosing pumps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
need more info. if you have a fairly young tank, you probably dont need to dose anything, waterchanges are fine.
it seems we must feel like we are part of the equation in keeping a tank going.

sometimes, more is less.

·
Administrator
47,640 Posts
More info would be a help, different organisms are going to have different needs. Calcium and buffer are the main things you want to track, also magnesium level is tied in, Avoid the temptation to dose "Trace Elements" or use any one of the myriad of wonder products out there that promise fabulous results. Don't throw in a bunch of stuff that you can't measure levels accurately. Different types of coral or other organisms have differnt calcium demands.
Your tank is still pretty young and probably not nearly as stable as it will be in 6 months or so

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya it was young and has stabled out I added a carbon and a gfo reactor to help which is amazing also I only have lps corals but want an acropora or some montis and I don't know there needs as well as loss I have done a ton of research and talked to many people about it and they said ya know corals and stuff aren't as delicate as many say that was an exact quote from a coral farm owner so I guest I just go for it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya it was young and has stabled out I added a carbon and a gfo reactor to help which is amazing also I only have lps corals but want an acropora or some montis and I don't know there needs as well as loss I have done a ton of research and talked to many people about it and they said ya know corals and stuff aren't as delicate as many say that was an exact quote from a coral farm owner so I guest I just go for it
Dont ask the butcher if eating too much red meat is bad for ya :)

it also depends on what type of salt you are using. i used to dose stateside, kalk reactor and two part. im on a hybrid of 25% synthentic and 75% NSW now and took my dosing pumps off line and my tank is doing fine.

go slow when it comes to SPS. Tons of other corals you can get your feet wet with that look awesome and dont have high needs.

GL
C

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use instant ocean because that's where everyone else gets there recipe for salt and the other ones like reef crystals have inconsistent nutrient levels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts