The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys i wanted to know what kind of supplements are u guys dosing and why like calcium alk mag stronium and all the others let me know results if u see changes and stuff i currently dose alk and cal 2 a week but im interested in new additives if they work

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nothing Added In Fo Tank
My Reef I Add
Calcium Code A And Code B System
Strontium
Magnesium
Purple Tech
FEED MARINE SNOW ONCE A WEEK
And Only Use Ro Water

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
RO/DI water and a good salt mix, thats it.

Unless you have a significant quantity of calcium loving corals like SPS and LPS and regular testing withe reliable test kits to know you have a demand for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium then don't add them. Adding things because someone told you to or because it says so on the bottle is a recipe for disaster, its very easy to get a system out of whack and a PITA to get it back on track.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
RO/DI water and a good salt mix, thats it.

Unless you have a significant quantity of calcium loving corals like SPS and LPS and regular testing withe reliable test kits to know you have a demand for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium then don't add them. Adding things because someone told you to or because it says so on the bottle is a recipe for disaster, its very easy to get a system out of whack and a PITA to get it back on track.
this I know all too well, it took me months, and lots of $ on additives, and test kits to get my system back on track, along with 500 gallons of SW mix in 2 months for a 55g system!!!!!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
ditto. this can not be stressed enough. do not dose anything unless you have test kits to determine if and when levels needed to be adjusted. far to many people just dose stuff and it causes some funky and hard to correct water conditions.

G~

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Dont dose anything you dont test for. Also If you do test properly and need to dose, I reccomend addatives that adjust a single parameter. An all-in-one supplement can cause problems down the road if all you need (and test for) is Ca and Alk but your still adding extra strontiuim unknowingly. The extra build up of trace elements could be an issue.

The chances of it being an issue are minimal but why take the risk. I'm a control freak so the more I can control in my setup, the less that can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have predominately soft coral tanks. I dose Sea-Lab #28 (calcium blocks) and Sea-Lab #14pH (they work in tandem). Also, Magnesium, Strontium/Molybdenem, Reef Builder, Brightwells Replenish and Iodine.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
+1 I have iodide and an iodine test kit. I stopped using them both I let my water changes take care of it for me. I dosed a capful of essential elements a while ago when my tank was cycling and haven't since. And provably not going to again.
Heck I might test iodine this weekend. Just for fun.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
why buy a good salt mix if your just going to add things anyways? pick a salt mix by what you need, and you should be good on all trace elements ;)
Respectfully.........I do not believe any salt mix can adequately sustain Iodine or many other trace elements in the amount needed for tanks requiring it. If someone does monthly water changes, depending also on how much they change out, the slight amount of Iodine in a few gallons of new water will not significantly raise the Iodine to bring it to proper saturation usable by the creatures requiring it and sustain this for a month until the next change. Smaller weekly changes will do even less. To further prove this, if water changes could raise Iodine levels to any significance, everyone should be testing for Iodine. Is everyone? No, hardly anyone is. Who mixes a batch of water and then tests their tank for Iodine, Strontium, Molybdenum etc. to make sure they aren't overdosing?
To burst a myth believed by many, water changes have their place but in no way contribute to over all water quality as much as the biological filtration of the tank and sustaining the elements required by supplementation when needed.

·
little crazy
1,358 Posts
Disagree that WC's don't replace "TRACE" elements I guarentee my iodine is in check when I test it this weekend. And I only dosed it once when I first started my tank. I used to dose my 30g and it crashed 2x's I don't dose my 55g and I can now keep things I couldn't before.

But if you choose to dose it that is your business.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Disagree that WC's don't replace "TRACE" elements I guarentee my iodine is in check when I test it this weekend. And I only dosed it once when I first started my tank. I used to dose my 30g and it crashed 2x's I don't dose my 55g and I can now keep things I couldn't before.

But if you choose to dose it that is your business.
Yes, dosing Iodide/Iodine in a SPS dominated tank would be ill advised. That is why I premissed my post by saying I have predominately soft coral tanks.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
just so we know what we are talking about.

here is the composition of natural sea water.

lets just think about this for a minute. Iodine is listed as 0.06ppm. when dosing, how much does the label say? think about how little it takes to get to 0.06ppm. does the test kit even read that low? those trace elements are either nothing but water with a trace amount of stuff in it or an insane concentration of these elements. if you are dosing Iodine, why not just use Morton's table salt? it contains iodine, and is significantly less expensive then some stuff in a bottle that is just water, with probably a little bit of Morton's salt in it.

this hobby is all about misconceptions and getting you to buy stuff. find the data first, then make a decision on the data, not on what people say.

Ca/alk/Mg are all high concentration elements needed in the system. easily tested for and are needed in large enough amounts that it makes sense to dose and test to make sure they are in an acceptable range.

as long as the salt mix you are using is mixed to NSW levels it will keep these trace elements in a level that is acceptable. how important can Mo be if its NSW level is 0.01ppm?

G~

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Respectfully.........I do not believe any salt mix can adequately sustain Iodine or many other trace elements in the amount needed for tanks requiring it. If someone does monthly water changes, depending also on how much they change out, the slight amount of Iodine in a few gallons of new water will not significantly raise the Iodine to bring it to proper saturation usable by the creatures requiring it and sustain this for a month until the next change. Smaller weekly changes will do even less. To further prove this, if water changes could raise Iodine levels to any significance, everyone should be testing for Iodine. Is everyone? No, hardly anyone is. Who mixes a batch of water and then tests their tank for Iodine, Strontium, Molybdenum etc. to make sure they aren't overdosing?
To burst a myth believed by many, water changes have their place but in no way contribute to over all water quality as much as the biological filtration of the tank and sustaining the elements required by supplementation when needed.
monthly you may be right, but I do weekly water changes, and how not had a prob yet...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
just so we know what we are talking about.

here is the composition of natural sea water.

lets just think about this for a minute. Iodine is listed as 0.06ppm. when dosing, how much does the label say? think about how little it takes to get to 0.06ppm. does the test kit even read that low? those trace elements are either nothing but water with a trace amount of stuff in it or an insane concentration of these elements. if you are dosing Iodine, why not just use Morton's table salt? it contains iodine, and is significantly less expensive then some stuff in a bottle that is just water, with probably a little bit of Morton's salt in it.

this hobby is all about misconceptions and getting you to buy stuff. find the data first, then make a decision on the data, not on what people say.

Ca/alk/Mg are all high concentration elements needed in the system. easily tested for and are needed in large enough amounts that it makes sense to dose and test to make sure they are in an acceptable range.

as long as the salt mix you are using is mixed to NSW levels it will keep these trace elements in a level that is acceptable. how important can Mo be if its NSW level is 0.01ppm?

G~
Your link didn't work. Here is another; http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm Yes, the test kits do go to .06 ppm, that is why there is a test. Mine shows .00, .03, .06 and .09 (which is bad). I wouldn't be sure table salt is pure (uncontaminated) and you mention no mixture formulation (I don't think there is one).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts