The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90gal/30sump system with polyps, leathers, shrooms and xenia. I know my corals are not calcium hogs but I do realize they need some amount so I decided to run some tests. My akalinity was 6dkh and the calcium was over 400. I can't tell between purple, lavender and periwinkle so I can't give you guys an exact number but I do know it's higher than 400. My pH swings between 8.1 and 8.25(pinpoint monitor)
Now to the point. I dosed w/ the 2part ESV system and got the akalinity up to 8dkh and the calcium is still above 400. The instructions recommend to dose 30ml for each part/daily. Knowing that every tank is different and has different needs I don't feel comfortable dosing 30ml/day. I stopped dosing and plan to test daily to see what happens? Any input?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
When it comes to adding anything to the tank , Test. and I have notice that when reading the label they can be on the high end of the scale. If I add something I start out adding less and then work up to what is needed. I am only saying this as I really don't add anything to my tanks. I do drip kalk and have a calcium reactor on my reef. and I do alot of water changes with reef cystals where I get pretty much waht I need to have a healty tank.

So like you said take reading and see what You have before You start back up and then you can adjust it to your tank

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing. Don't go by the instructions on the bottle...go by the results of your own tests. :)

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
use your test results, then if you wnt to hit the exact mark for the dose, go to one of the calcium and alkalinity calculators on the 'Net.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't add anything to your tank unless you have some corals that require more calcium - - good water changes and decent detritus cleanup should be enough - - I hate using the additives!

HHC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts