The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodafternoon everyone, my question today is how to dose kalk for a 55 gal, I am unclear on the drip method... Can you all assit me on where to buy the material needed for adding kalk!!!!!

55 gal SW
60-70#'s of LR
40#'s of LS
prizm protien skimmer
Aqua Tech 40-60 power filter
3 powerheads 2 at top on each end pointed to the center and 1 blowing across the back bottom
looking to add fish soon but not sure what kind!!!
And one more question..... how many snails and hermit crabs would be too many?

·
Registered
573 Posts
best way IMO is with a aquadoser or a medicine bag, it doesnt matter how much you dose as long as its only one or so drops a sec. Right now in my 30 im doseing with a 2.5 gall doser and it last about a day and a half. If I dont do it constantly my PH drops to like 7.8 when the lights go out. With it my ph is staying around 8.1-8.3

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
foster & smith sell the 5 gallon & the 2.5 I run about 1 drop per second and go through 5 gallons about every 3 days

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I have a mini 7 and I can't get the drip right. I was dripping once every 3 sec and it still overflowed the system. Any lower drip causes it to stop because of air. I am using a drip box with a ro line about 7 inches. Any help would be great. I have taken the box off for now. Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I dosed Kalk for years with a Kent 2.5 doser. I mixed the Kalk powder with RO water using the directions on the Kalk in a milk jug by shaking and poured the solution in the doser. Let it settle for a few hours then start the slow drip. I kept it pretty constant to replace my evaporation water. Now I have a reactor but it served the purpose for a long time with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts