The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Big fish in a small pond.
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about some of the more experienced members views on dosing and using a filter media in your tanks. I ask because with my nano all I have ever done is added some calcium with water changes. It was at about 370 and dropping slowly every week so I started adding small doses when I do weekly changes to bring it back around 400. I have not used activated carbon or any other phosphate, nitrate or any other type of filter media and just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on them.

I still have some hair algae on a few of my rocks but it's not spreading or getting out of control and I was wondering if any of the available products would help remove whatever it is feeding on. Phosphate tests show 0 so I imagine it's most likely being fed by the rocks rather than the water column.

What about dosing for things like Iodine, Iodide etc... What trace elements do most of you all test for. I thought about picking up an Iodine test kit just for the heck of it but my LFS sells them for $55 and I thought it may be a bit much. Currently I test for Amm, Trite, Trate, Calcium, Phosphate, PH, Alk and KH. Is there other critical tests I should be using?

In short I guess, what other than fresh saltwater do you put in your tank and of those what do you test for and what do you just use or dose with regardless?

~Danny

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I was curious about some of the more experienced members views on dosing and using a filter media in your tanks. I ask because with my nano all I have ever done is added some calcium with water changes. It was at about 370 and dropping slowly every week so I started adding small doses when I do weekly changes to bring it back around 400. I have not used activated carbon or any other phosphate, nitrate or any other type of filter media and just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on them.
GAC (Granular Activated Carbon) helps with water quality. You just have to be careful about what kind you get. Make sure you get a quality brand or you run the risk of it leaching Phosphates back into the water.

Phosphate Media, if aluminum based, will help deal with phosphate issues.

Do you have stonies in your tank? LSP, SPS, clams. If so, Ca is important. If its a softie tank, then Ca isn't quite as important. The fact you are seeing declining levels of Ca indicates you have Ca critters :)

I still have some hair algae on a few of my rocks but it's not spreading or getting out of control and I was wondering if any of the available products would help remove whatever it is feeding on. Phosphate tests show 0 so I imagine it's most likely being fed by the rocks rather than the water column.
Phosphate test kits are pretty useless. They test for free phosphates in the water column and not phosphates that are bound up to anything else. Phosphates don't stay unbound very long so the test kits predictably give false zeroes. The fact that you have hair algae growing says you have phosphates in the water, the test kit just won't show it to you.
I have a phosphate kit and I have used it twice in 9 months.

How you go about solving a Phosphate issue depends on where its coming from. Feeding schedule, rock saturation, sandbeds, and some other things.

What about dosing for things like Iodine, Iodide etc... What trace elements do most of you all test for.
Don't dose anything you can't directly test for. If you can't test and know what the levels are, you can't possibly reliably dose it :)

I thought about picking up an Iodine test kit just for the heck of it but my LFS sells them for $55 and I thought it may be a bit much. Currently I test for Amm, Trite, Trate, Calcium, Phosphate, PH, Alk and KH. Is there other critical tests I should be using?
Magnesium. Drop the Phosphate testing though. By the time it reads on the scale, you will know before then that you have a P issue (Algae growth).

In short I guess, what other than fresh saltwater do you put in your tank and of those what do you test for and what do you just use or dose with regardless?~Danny
Food - I add food regardless :)

Don't dose anything you can't test for, and, don't dose what you can test for unless you think there is a reason for it. Meaning, don't just do it regardless, have a reason for doing it.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
here's what i do (and take it for what it is, just my opinion)

24G nano. mixed SPS, LPS, mushrooms, zoas, 3 fish, some hermits and snails.

filtration: liverock and tunze nano skimmer. no other media.

algae; there is little algae growth. i wipe the glass about once a week.
i did cook my liverock for quite some time before i set up this tank.

dosing: i top-off with kalkwasser. that's it.

do weekly water changes of ~5gallons (sometimes less). i boost the ALK in the new water because it mixes a little low.

i test ALK/Ca/Mg every two or three weeks, and have only once needed to adjust ALK, because i forgot to make kalkwasser one time, and topped off with RO/DI for two days ;)

i siphon out detritus that settles when i do waterchanges (bare bottom tank)

i feed VERY LITTLE.
a few pellets of new life spectrum every two or three days. to keep the clowns happy
once or twice a week i'll throw in a mixture of frozen cyclop-eeze, mysis, rotifers (again, very little)

this seems to work for me, everything is happy and growing.

J.

·
11,345 Posts
Phosphate Media, if aluminum based, will help deal with phosphate issues.
iron and aluminum based both will reduce phosphates.

Pick your poison. Iron is the much better choice in that regard, but they both can do harm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts