The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting with some soft corals, bought a couple zoas and a mushroom. What should I start dosing the tank with in order to get good growth on the corals & not mess up my ph ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It would be a good idea to test you parameters first. If ph and alkalinity are within range, check calcium. I keep mine around 420 with Turbo-Calcium by Kent Marine, it doesn't seem to affect ph. If needed, I dose with small amounts of potassium iodide and magnesium, but that's it. My 55 is full of zoos, and they grow like crazy. I have several softies, all doing great. Good luck.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
for those corals, water changes are all you'll need to do. They do not require much if any supplementation of calcium or alkalinity, and I would not dose ANYTHING that you are not testing for.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would always test before dosing any supplement. Some good test are Calcium, DHK / alkalinity, and Magnesium. These are related to each other and will affect your dkh level calcium and ph level. after that is stable and you have a "bio-load" of soft corals test Iodine levels.

I would not add Iodine unless the level was low but usually it takes a pretty good bio load to deplete the iodine that is mixed into the standard salt mix like reef crystals. with just zoas and shrooms you should be good with out supplementing between water changes.

IMHO
Fred

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also like to boost my coraline growth. Any suggestions there? My last test of calcium levels, it was low, around 160 ppm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For coraline calcium is essential. A lot of people use all these expensive supplements but i use just regular pickling lime from the grocery store mixed in with my top of water. I use a 5 gal jugg of ro/di water and put about 5 tablespoons of pickling lime in it and shake it up real good. If you use this method make sure you shake the jug everyday before adding because the stuff will settle to the bottom. My purple coraline took off through the roof when I started with pickling lime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts