The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to bring up my Alk a little so I dosed some Baking soda. this is the first time I have done this, and the water got really cloudy and has stayed cloudy for about 5-10 minutes now. Is this normal? what should I do? I checked my pH, and it dropped, but not by much. about 8.4 to 8.2

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
now, a couple of my sps have retracted their polyps some, and are letting off a little bit of slime

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I added about 1-1/2 tsp Haven't checked alk again. I used the reef calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/ to figure that amount out. I mixed it with some fresh water and dumped it in little by little. I also added a little seachem reef advantage calcium at the same time

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
original Alk 8.6. now, 9.3

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mixed it with a few cups of fresh water. And I added it to the sump by my skimmer where there is a bunch of water movement

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have never had the water get cloudy like that. What are you calcium and magnesium levels? Does it look like you had a precipitation event (snow storm)? I always mix the baking soda with RO/DI at 380g/gallon of water and add about 250ml per day without incident. This maintains alk in my tank. I see no changes in pH when I dose.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it has cleared up now. My calcium was 380, and I added some Calium too, to get it closer to 420. my magnesium is 1350

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya, same time.

·
11,345 Posts
ya, you dont really need to wait an hour in between the ca and alk......but 5-10 minutes for sure.

Figure that if you are dumping it in your sump.......you want all of the water that was in the sump at the time you dumped the alk in to cycle out of the sump before the Ca goes in

Im the worst...... I will dump massive amounts in in peak lighting instead of morning.....and miss a day or two and then dump massive amounts of ca and alk in to make up for it.......but they do not ever go in with each other at exactly the same time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts