The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its falsly raises your nitrate level...........you will get a high reading eventhough your nitrate might be fine...........now might not sound like a big deal.............but if that stuff is ok then why the heck does it do that...........i talked to a few guys at the LFS i go to called that fish place in lancaster,Pa..................and they all told me the same thing..........thats not natural............needless to say my bottle of purple - up i had is now increasing the calcium of my trash can

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
oh i love that fish place, im about a half hour away :D they got crappy serpent stars though :(

anything that makes claims like that in a bottle you should be suspicious of
i bought so many products with similiar outrages claims, one of them fiji gold which i tossed in the garbage too
im just gonna stick to the basic stuff like calcium and alkaline booster when needed
so many times i wanted to buy purple up, i held myself back
in the new issue of thatfishplace catalog they have a huge ad about purple up saying how its the best product of 2005 :doh:
just curious, but did it work?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my tank is only been up for 1 1/2 months and yea i have deep purple, maroon, green, orange coraline............but is it from that or just from nature..........????????????????

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
if you had minimal die off then id say its not from purple up...if you had die off and then had that nice bloom of coriline then heck that purple up sounds like it worked :eek: :D
but dang those sound like nice rocks
my tank is 7 or 8 months now and i just started getting purple coriline like the past 6 weeks...too much on the glass tho :rolleyes:
they should make aquarium backgrounds in purple so it wont be as noticable :nuts:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had my tank up for 6 months and have very little corraline growth. I bought a bottle of purple up and started doing about a 1/3 of the recommended dosage and already we've started to see an increase in corraline in the tank.

My question is, why would it be a big deal if the nitrate test is a little high, but the water is fine. I know it could eventually mask a true nitrate problem, but at worst, you might do an extra water change. And if you know it's going to falsely raise it, I'd think you should be able to get a feel for how much it is going to raise it, and just keep an eye on that. If you see that it spikes over what you may expect the purple up to do, then you fret.

Unless you are fixing a water leak, there's not much you can do TOO slow here... I would think that could also include making the decision to toss out a bottle of purple up based on what one person says.

I'm not endorsing the stuff.. just curious.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
there is a chance that it can throw everything out of wack
it could make the calcium go sky high and possibly lower alkaline in the process
a false nitrate reading can confuse the heck outta ya since how will you know whats real and whats false?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I would only add that unless I had a VERY good understanding of what is really happening with this product (which I'll admit I don't), I personally, wouldn't feel safe using it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
OK I have used P-UP in my tank for the last six weeks. I have have no increase in nitrates or any thing like that. It is used as directed 5 ml per day. This product is also used with Kent A & B. at the recomeded dosage of 15 ml per day for a 55 gal. my calcium level is between 400 and 450. alk is high (I hate that test it does not give me a DKH reading) and the ph is very stable at 8.4. for the last two months.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
now i wanna buy it lol

but seriously long term effects is prob when things will go wrong...not that they will but lets say a 3 year build up of that stuff???
im sure theres lots more in that bottle than the label says...which in time built up can have a toxic effect

ive been using kents nano a+b
the stuff is garbage, it has way too much iodine and small amounts of nickel etc
it seemed like it worked for the first few months but i noticed a decline in the health of my corals. i only used half a dose once a week not daily like it says
it took about a week to get that crap out of my tank and when i did the corals right away were waving their hands thanking me
ive been racking my brain researching all these products and no where can it be found that these reef concoctions are needed, they pretty much do more harm than good in the long run
thats why the pro's use good ole' kalkwasser and not these silly little gimmicks that we get suckered into buying....myself included

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
ionracing said:
its falsly raises your nitrate level...........you will get a high reading eventhough your nitrate might be fine...........now might not sound like a big deal.............but if that stuff is ok then why the heck does it do that...........i talked to a few guys at the LFS i go to called that fish place in lancaster,Pa..................and they all told me the same thing..........thats not natural............needless to say my bottle of purple - up i had is now increasing the calcium of my trash can

Where did you get the info it gives false nitrate readings?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a marine biologist at the fish place................and about 7 employees at their fish information center

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
...remember, Coralline Is Algae...

It has all the normal needs of algae in general and also needs calcium and alkalinity specifically to encrust...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ahhhh.Another marine biologist that cant keep his nitrates under control and now is blameing it on Purple Up.OMG !!!:rolleyes:

When I was using it (and very successfuly I might add) I never had any nitrates that were detectable with three different test kits.

Probably another one of those M/Bio, that says you have to have a DSB and a refugium in order to be a successfull reef keeper.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yeah and prob the same person who squished my brain coral and grabbed my banded serpant star like a crazy women only to have him fall appart in the bag on the way home :angry:
they usually have college girls working there or just out of highschool kids, so theres a chance the crew that was there that day werent the true "older" marine biologist that are on staff
when ever i go there for corals ill be like i want a star polyp or whatever and the person usually doesnt even know what it looks like, i have to show them :doh:
do some research and see if this is true, if you can find other sites that say it then id be worried and stop using it.
i got this fiji gold crapola and i cant find anything on it other than it wont disolve in a reef tank....then why would they make it for a reef??? its all just crazy

ion and boat are you gonna race?? :banana:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
One of the reasons I have never weighed in on this product is that more often than not, the only thing keeping folks from having good coralline coverage is time and good Ca and alk levels. If you keep a reef system at accepted reef parameters, cralline is just a matter of time, speciation for the tank, and adequate lighting.

Why would you need anything else?

Interestingly enough, at MACNA last year, there were several folks at a roundtable discussion talking about the fact that all you need to do to get some extra spending cash is find an area where it takes time to do ANYthing for a reef system, and market a product that claims to speed up the process, based on the fact that so many reefers are in such a hurry and don't want t do the research...

I guess marketing IS king.

:rolleyes:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
yup tis true ;)

i think im gonna market shrooms in a box, gauranteed to grow just add water :lol:

coriline will grow, and they dont even need mad lighting, the deep dark purple stuff actually grows better in dimmer lighting
it takes time and of course a healthy tank (calcium etc)
but why does it have to grow on the glass lol :(

i think i like the idea of peel and stick corals better :)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Yep marketing is king...

However given what Purple UP is... a pumped-up calcium supplement, how did they draw the conclusion that it raises nitrate? It's not organic... it's a mineral supplement.

I think people have problems when they add so many supplements that they "overlap" each other.

I use the Kent Nano A&B in our 12g Aquapod here in the shop and it's doing great. No issues.

I've dosed a bit of extra Magnesium to get rid of Cyanobacter - and that works. I don't know just why scientifically, but it works without harmful effects that antibiotics and other "cures" have - and magnesium helps calcium become more biologically available for organisms like reef building corals and coralline algae to use :)

Jenn

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
wharyat said:
Makes sense. As Tom said, it is algae, and we all know what algae likes.
the same thing as the rest of us!!!:dance::dance::banana::banana::beer::beer: beer and bananas!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts