The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious where one would get the abrasive seal kits for Dolphin pumps. Are there any online stores that carry them. I've been reading a lot about the Dolphin standard seals having problems, but the abrasive seals being satisfactory. I've already purchased the Ampmaster 2700/3200, but I'm a long way from setting up my 125 gal. My plan is to replace the standard seal with the abrasive proof seal even before its first use. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I recently contacted Dolphin to find out where I could purchase the abrasive proof seal by itself. They refered me to Custom Aquatic. As it turns out, Dolphin doesn't include the abrasive proof seal within the pump, which sucks and I think its a rip-off. They recommended that I get the abrasive seal installed professionally by them to guarantee its performance, instead of buying the kit and installing myself. They charge $85 for factory installation of the seal, plus shipping. Custom Aquatic charges about the same for the abrasive seal kit by itself. I'm wondering if I should even bother paying for them to install the seal when they should already include them in the first place. On the other hand, I'd hate to get the tank up and running and then need to replace the seal when it starts leaking! Does anyone have any opinions about this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted Dolphin again, and now the story is that I would have to ship my brand new pump to them and have a repair tech. look at it. At that point, they would let me know how much they would charge me to install it. That's nonsense to me. So I think I'm not even going to bother with the Ampmaster and just purchase another pump and sell this one. I hear so many good things about the Sequence pumps. The main reason for me getting the Dolphin pump was because its quiet. For my 125 long, I am setting up a CLS that I would run the pump. Does anyone have any recommendations on which Sequence would be good for a CLS. I eventually want to keep SPS's. Which ones are the most energy efficient and quiet? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Barracuda really that quiet. I just received one yesterday and I must admit, I was a bit intimidated by the size of the thing. Hard to believe that this big thing can be that quiet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts