The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this sea hare for almost two weeks. My tank has very little in the way of natural algae growth, but everything I've read online indicates this species likes red and green macroalgae.

It also seems they keep a mixed diet. However, mine will not eat anything I've put in the tank. I'll sample something enthusiastically, then spit it out. So far I've tried:

caulerpa
red gracilaria
parboiled spinach, 3 different kinds of lettuce
sheet algae sold for herbivores
parboiled cucumber
spirulina discs

I should mention that I have no hair algae in my tank yet, as it's only 2 months old. Has anyone else gotten this species to eat (I'm sure of the species)? Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found something!

There are some ideas in the reef-only tank forums here. I'll try Nori seaweed sheets and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
nori should work. though it needs to be cut into strips that it can slurp into its mouth. if not than it will just annoy the nori and the nori will just float all over the tank where the hare can not reach it.

G~

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had one of those a few months back. When I bought her she was about the size of a dime and I never saw her eat anything. The snails would always leave a path where they had eaten but not her. She couldnt have been less interested in the hair algae I had. I had to get a stary blennie to eat the hair. However even tho I didnt see her eating she grew to be pretty large about 3 inches over the 6 or so months that I had her. Youe hare is prob eating as well esp if she/he's been in the tank for a cpl of weeks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nori yum yum!

Thanks everyone! The sea hare LOVES Nori, but even when cut into tiny strips it makes a mess. What can you expect from a slug though?

It will have to compete with me, now I want to make some sushi rice and roll up some California rolls....

(om nom nom nom....)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.