The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the plan ......i am going to wal-mart now to get 4 gallons of ro water..........and a 5 gallon bucket.......i am going to put the water in the bucket with the 2 cups of salt...........get the salinity right and then throw in an airstone.....cover it...........and around 11 take out 4 gallons in my sump and dump the bucket in ............right ...........sounds easy enough??????

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I normally do at least 24 hours of mixing, but I believe JennM (who owns and operates a magnificent fish store) once stated that in her experience mixing for less periods of time is okie dokie.

I hope I got that right, Jenn!

·
Registered
959 Posts
**** you guys wait after you mix? I usually mix it in a 10 gallon bin, get the salinity right, then drain the display, then pump back in the 10 gallons of salt water. All this happens in about an hr. I take it this is too short but why?

·
Registered
396 Posts
i normally wait 24hrs but have done a wc like you stated in around an hour after mixing the sw with no ill effects. However, I dont have any hard to keep corals or fish, and Id imagine that more delicate species might not like the newly mixed sw. HTH

-joe

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i went to wal mart got a 10 gallon rubbermaid bin with lid and 6 gallons of ro water.............which i noticed luckly my wal mart culligan ro machine is serviced every 30 days and was just serviced yesterday..........on the chart it said the tds reading was 10ppm...........and well since i cant afford an ro/di unit thats better then my tap well water............anyway so i dumped the 6 gallons in the rubbermaid bin, put in 3 cups of salt, put an air stone in, and im done...........so tomorrow i will take out 6 and put in six

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it takes over an hour just to wait for the salt to mix totally into solution. that is if you even know exactly how much salt to add to your X amount of water. it then takes another half and hour or more to make sure any corrective salt added dissolves properly.

G~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts