The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate myself. I just cant seem to stick to a decision to save my life. I was going to do a trigger tank, then I decided my tank was too small so I just kept my maroon clown, 4stripe damsel, bicolor blenny, neon dottyback and shrimp and choc. chip star, astreas and nassarius, with live sand and rock. Then, I decided the tank was still ugly and I didnt like it. So, I decided to sell it (havent sold it yet tho). I sold my maroon clown. Then, while at the fishstore buying LR for my bedside nano, I saw the most gorgeous trigger i'd ever seen (see thread called New Fish!). So, I bought him (not really an impulse purchase since I had done much research and really wanted to keep one, just not at this time).

So, I am buying a 55g tank this weekend (nondrilled with overflow and sump) which is larger and longer so the fish will have more room to swim around. My plans for the tank is to do corals with the triggerfish and others I currently have listed above, and since I already cant have a cleanup crew, maybe a harlequin tuskfish) If they've read the book, they arent supposed to eat coral, but will eat snails crabs and shrimp. So, therefore I can have no cleanup crew or live sand bed in the tank.

My question is, is it possible to maintain a reef tank with no cleanup crew?? Please let me know the best way to go about it with this tank. i.e. will I have to just use a thin layer of sand and vacuum it, keeping a pretty open rock structure? I was thinking I would maybe have to do a spray bar from the back of the tank to the front so the detritus would be easier to remove. the sump has a fuge compartment so maybe I could put the sandbed and critters and macroalgae there to help with nitrates.

The guy I am buying the tank from is giving me his fish (maroon clown, yellow tang, yellowtail blue damsel), I wont keep the maroon, and I already have a yellow tang in my other tank. would I be pushing the bioload to keep the yellow tang in there too, along with fish named above? (I know you are going to say yes, but I want you to be honest and tell me what fishload will not cause nutrient overload with this tank.)

Corals I plan on keeping will include soft corals fragged from my reef tank, and maybe some lps. Even after 3 years, and especially with this tank, I dont think I want to do stony!

Let the recommendations begin.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
Ask VWD(Vinnie or Vince),He has a trigger tank He never showed the whole tank but saw a couple of his nice triggers.Sounds nice!I love triggers!Cool fish!

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Thanks Rotties , I have placed a full shot someplace on that Tank, Evan's mom , You are working with a pretty small tank for most triggers, I think the blue jaw is your best choice if You are going to have one, They seem to be the best in a reef tank, Other will work also but need larger tanks. You already have a pretty good bio load and a trigger is really going to add to it. They eatlike pigs and You will more then likely be doing more in the way of water changes. You may want to rethink this , but if you have the fish that may be hard. Blue jaw is the one in my Avatar

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I already have the fish, he is about 6 inches from nose to tail lobes so not huge already. yes I know they are very messy, might have to bypass the tusk and just keep the smaller fish to eat any tiny scraps he misses. the tank has a decent skimmer and I can keep macro in the fuge, will that be adequate? what are your thoughts on cleanup crew? do you have one?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I don't think much will get past him, and as long as he don't eat your clean up crew. I don't have a clean up crew, the queen trigger eat them as fast asI can place in tank. That is a great Looking fish, He will get bigger and need a bigger tank later on.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks vinnie, how is your system set up (substrate, flow, equipment, lighting, do you have corals, other fish with your trigger(s)? thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have a few hundren lbs of live rock maybe more, Then a CC and shell bottom and refugium, No corals , Everything gets eaten by the queen trigger, I also have a lanare wrasse and snow flake ell . OH 3 damsel that I wish the queen would eat. LOL The flow is abot 2500 GPH total, Lights I have 120 watts , I took out the VHO's , No need for them on a FOLR tank.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant find the edit button at the moment :rolleyes: but to revise what I said earlier, I read some stuff Spanky posted and I dont think I will do much of a sandbed and I wont do a fuge with macro. Will do more of a Berlin approach with more flow and skimming and regular detritus removal.

the other thing is, do y'all dare me to try sps? If so, since my other tank is mostly softy, I'd have to do it in this tank if at all. Possible with a dirty messy trigger? tank might get to dirty; but if I keep it clean, the corals might like all the food...decisions decisions.

AHA! Theres the edit button on this post, but the others dont have it. maybe cuz theyre too old to edit?

Vince, I definitely want to be able to do corals in this system. otherwise I will probably lose interestit because its not as pretty as the other tank, even though I love the trigger...is the key to not overstock on fish then?

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have my reef and seahorse and other tanks, But one that I think I enjoy the most is the trigger tank. I know some people that have triggers in with SPS's , But you have to just read and take a chance on what they go for. he says they nip but don't really demage the corals,

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive read that the blue chin, sargassum, niger and crosshatch triggers are a whole lot less likely to go for corals and have read some testimonials of people whove had them that dont have problems. I am more thinking on the waste side of things, that might possibly not be the best for keeping them with corals (hard corals anyways)

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
They are messy feeders , but if You have a very stable tank that can handle the load and keep up with it, I don't see a problem. The biggest problem I see that I had with my tank. I took out all the live rock and went with big deco corals. then the refugium was all I had to handle it with a skimmer. Well it didn't do the job. So I went with all the liverock and keeped the refugium ,skimmer and all is stable now. If I didn't have the Queen trigger I would put corals in the tank.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got the tank!

I had made arrangements to buy an established 55 with sump and overflow but it was an hour and a half away. So packed up the van and went to pick it up, but guess what. I got stood up. I was :angry: .

But it ended up to be a blessing in disguise because today someone tipped me off about someone else who had just got rid of some of their animals and made space for a 160 gallon tank (for plecostomuses! I just cant relate, sorry) and had a 75 with stand for sale for $75. So here is the before shot. I have painted the trim black and have put one coat of black on the stand. it needs another coat tomorrow but will post pics tomorrow.

The tank was manufactured in oct 94 so is sort of old, but the silicone is still intact and springy. it was actually used by the first person as a freshwater tank, the second owner had snakes, the last person had bearded dragons, and now its going to be saltwater. so at least I know the history. so after its able, I am going to stick water in it and test it for leaks.

Attachments

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after pic

Here it is after three coats of acrylic gloss and I spray painted the top trim (the bottom is hidden so left that woodgrain...lazy!) black with krylon semi-matte spray paint (2 coats). Its not leaky and I am filling it tomorrow! Then will cycle it. progress to follow. :blob:

I love starting new tanks.

Attachments

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fish are in!

okay here is a pic. this is after the tank was set up with some live sand and crushed coral (20 lbs total) and some live rock (I know its sparse. I had some lined up but the deal fell through so am looking for more). The fish were transferred after the tank was set up for two weeks. For now till I get more LR and get the lighting, I put the cheesy desert background and the fake corals in so me and the kids have SOMETHING to look at! If you look real close you can see all four fish, the niger trigger, the neon dottyback, the 4stripe damsel and the bicolor blenny.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts