The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A person on my local club bought this anenome for his 20L that he just set up in January. I recommended it go to a more mature and stabilized tank and he wants to trade me for some zoos or ricordea.

what type is it? Does it appear to be healthy?

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
What it will host depends on what is in the tank and whether whats in the tank decides to host or not. Hosting is a crap shoot, sometimes they host, sometimes they don't. And even if you got a pair of fish that were hosting in someone elses tank in the same exact type anemone, there is no guarantee they will continue to host in your tank.

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh i'm not worried if it will host.

i'm not yet sure on its ID. I plan on true percs in the future. I know that its a crap shoot but if no fish likes it than I don't want it. I'm hoping to ID it so I will be able to study it.

I wanna know stuff like if... Do skunk clowns and tomatoes like it instead of true percs etc., and I can't study it unless I get an ID. I looked up sand nems but they didn't appear the same me. I have no idea though!

· originally original
990 Posts
That red foot makes me think LTA also.

Skunks, Clarkiis (and the 10 other common clowns that look similar), and Maroons will host in an LTA eagerly, the other species can be a bit of a crap shoot.

· Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Looks pretty healthy and inflated...make sure the foot is not damaged in any way...it also may be bleached out...I wouldn't be surprised if it got some color under some better lighting (although it's natural color could turn out to be brown)...I would concur on the LTA, although it could also be a condy of some type (they normally have pink or purple tips however)...if it did turn out to be a condy then it's not a natural host for any clowns...condy's are very readily available in the trade and pretty cheap...you might ask whay he paid for it...if it's $10-$15 it's probably a condy...LTA's tend to be more in the $30+ range.

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
Hmmm... Aren't sand and LTAs the same? The red foot is what I was going by. The pink/purple tips are kinda weird. Like it was mentioned earlier, the colored tips are more indicative of condies. If it is a condy nothing will really host it. If it is a LTA/sand there are several natural hosts for it but as also mentioned earlier the fish my not go in it.

· originally original
990 Posts
Now that I look at it, I'm leaning toward Haitian Anemone. Purple LTA's do exist but they are pretty spendy. The purple color and red foot could mean condi/Haitian, the fat tentacles are more condi than LTA also.

Is there any way to get a better photo? A Condi anemone isn't exactly a prize IMO.

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is my build thread.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/harlequin29-gallon-progress-thread-124122.html

The nem was a rescue from a 20L that was setup in late January. I traded a green ric, blue ric, and a tiny pulsing xenia frag for it. In my tank it will stand a better chance I believe. Not sure if I want it long term but i'll see what you guys think. He has attached some of his foot to my rockwork already!

I'm angry when other people buy nems with brand new tanks and think everythings hunky dory. I have had my tank setup since November. Personally, from all i've read it's way too early for my tank to have a nem. But I also understand the rule 6 months to a year is a generalization and what really matters is maturity of your tank and the cycling process. I have no fish in my setup. I used cured LR and have thoroughly tested water parameters. My husbandry is strict and tedious. I don't feel that I should have this nem, but I know that it will have a chance better with me than probably with him. I am fairly new to marine systems, but I study 3-4 hours a night and I believe I have a grasp on the simple biology.

The guy I got it from said that it didn't inflate as well when he acclimated it as it did in my tank. It's tentacles are moving nicely a gentle sway from a koralia 2 placed in the opposite rear corner adjacent to a koralia one on the other side. The color is actually a lot bluer than the first pic. It has a red foot as well.

For skimmer I have a Tunze 9002 and I do a 5 gallon water change every Sunday. I have a Sunpod HQI 150 for lighting. I will be replacing that with a pendant 150 hqi that has 2X32 watt actinics built in. My current lighting setup does not allow additional space for actinics over the tank.

Here are some pics of the nem. any ID would be great.

and a FTS

Please feel free to tell me what you think etc., I'm all about constructive criticism and if you all feel it's too early and i'm just going to kill the nem I want to find it another home. I am a marine biology major and if I could I would put this back on a reef. I just want to hear from you guys, most of you are far more experienced than me and I would like to see what you guys think. I read more on this forum than I reply and I have gained invaluable knowledge from TRT, thanks to all of you.

oh by the way, I took these pictures with my camera phone! I don't have a Digital SLR and I am so amazed that a cheap motorola phone with 5mp can take such clear pictures. Thanks everyone, and I look forward to hearing from you.

· Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Based on the color of the foot and the skinny multitude of tentacles I feel more like the LTA is a better ID...condy's have the same color foot but the tentacles tend to be a bit fatter and fewer of them...that's my thinking anyway.

· Premium Member
2,880 Posts
you're in KC Jnicho! that is so close! Dane Cook is coming to KC on the 16th if you or your gf is into that. Also comedian Demitri Martin will be in town around the same time. I love those guys.
Cool!

I saw you are in ICT...Lynne from SeaDreams hangs out on our local board sometimes...there are some awesome LFS's right off I-35 if you ever wander up this way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.