The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I put some bubble Caulerpa into my tank. I thought that it looked nice and I could just prune it to keep it under control. Now however it is starting to take over my tank :( Is there anything that eats it? I have been manually removing it, but it is impossible to get all of it. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much,
Megan

G

·
hehe that stuff sucks
i killed it all with rodi water, no phosphates and it couldnt grow, get a fuge and rip that suff out of there, it is a weed imo.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Depending on how many fish you have and what types, rabbit fish are great at eating the stuff and keeping it under control. Also limiting the amount of nutrients in the water column that fuel its growth helps as mnreefman pointed out using RODI Water to make your salt, cut back on the amount your feed your tank that adds excess nutrients into the water column. If you have a sump with a refugium or can put a HOT Refugium you can put some in the refugium to keep a tighter control on it and use it as a nitrate export. Hope that helps answer your question.

Earl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 45g tank with 2 clownfish. How big is a rabbit fish? Would it eat my corals?

Also about the emerald crab, my problem is bubble caulerpa not bubble algae, so i don't think they'd do anything. Right?

Thanks,
Megan

·
Registered
11 Posts
woops my bad... I misread your post. Bubble caulerpa eh? I don't think I've ever heard or seen that. Do you mean Racemosa? which is grape caulerpa and looks like little bubbles. Anyway, I've seen tangs eat that stuff. I'm sure a foxface would probably also eat it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I guess I do mean grape caulerpa. Sorry for the mixup. I would really hate to put a tang in my tank because I'm sure it is way too cramped so I guess I'll just stick to manual removal for now.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
getting rid of nutrients that i feeds on is the best thing to do. an all of the suggestions so far are good.

since you have som much of it. you could take several bunches of it to the LFS and throw it in and see what eats it. that way you are sure to get something that will eat it.

unfortunately most tangs will outgrow the 45.

G~

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I put some in a LONG time ago for my purple tang, and he munched it nicely until it was gone. Then after a week of vacation, I come home to it covering a couple rocks!!! Purple tang is not touching it (he is a chicken and always hides anyways). I may have to get a rabbit fish too or something to control it.

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
This is timely for me cause I nearly had a disaster yesterday due to red grape caulerpa. I'd been given one single sprig of the stuff about two months ago (I asked for it!) and it just sat there for a month and didn't grow. After hearing some negative things about caulerpa and having a rock with the green almost take over, I threw it out. Well, yesterday I was plumbing up my new 20g refugium. Trying to get it to drain into the main tank was a challenge and then the main tank kept wanting to overflow?!? though the flow into the fuge was slow. Didn't get it. Then when I rerouted the fuge to the sump, the main tank still wanted to overflow! What's up???? Well, I looked down into the overflow and there was mass of red bubble caulerpa clogging the siphon. Reached in and it was a double hand full! Ho Boy, was I lucky! Another couple of days and I'd have had a waterfall out the back of my tank. Weird thing was I just cleaned the overflow box 20 days ago and there was nothing in it. Where did the stuff come from. I guess I could have thrown it in the new fuge, but it freaked me so bad I threw it down the garbage disposal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts