The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious on how effiecient my pump would be running with a closed loop. Does head loss still affect the efficiency of the pump that will be sitting 2.5 feet under the tank or does it not since its a closed loop?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,317 Posts
any height that a pump has to push vertically will count against it, no matter what application, at 2 feet, you wont experience much, so it should be pretty effecient.
 

·
Just some guy, you know?
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
No, well kinda. If the pump is 2 feet under the tank it makes no difference because the water siphons down, then pushes back up,.. it all evens out. However every 90 deg fitting you use creates some head, and the longer the pipe the harder the pump has to work too so it is best to keep it short.

HTH,
Whiskey
 

·
uber-stupid
Joined
·
4,781 Posts
Wiskey said:
No, well kinda. If the pump is 2 feet under the tank it makes no difference because the water siphons down, then pushes back up,.. it all evens out. However every 90 deg fitting you use creates some head, and the longer the pipe the harder the pump has to work too so it is best to keep it short.

HTH,
Whiskey

I second whiskey on this one. Use spa flex line and use at least one size larger line than your pump opening. Also make sure you use a presure pump. The larger mags are ok but I wish I would have gotten a higher presure pump and use larger line with no 90s. Also get a bigger pump than you think you need. I thought I needed mag 18s and I should have used mag 24s or gotten a better presure pump.
 

·
Just some guy, you know?
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
That actually brings up another interesting point, they say mag drive pumps are fine for external use, but in reality I have never used one that did not leak almost straight away. I would go with a GenX, Iwakia, Panworld etc,.. if I were to setup a closed loop.

HTH,
Whiskey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,063 Posts
Whiskey with the exteranal pumps previously mentioned can they run a cycle like off for 5 min on for ten or will the pump burn up also what kind of noise do they make when they are treated like that?

Fred.
 

·
Cabana Boy
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have my mag12 on my return setup externally. Never had a problem as far as leaks go. I have heard some of these mag pumps might leak, but its usually because of a badly seated seal.
 

·
The Bitter Mod
Joined
·
7,059 Posts
leveldrummer said:
any height that a pump has to push vertically will count against it, no matter what application, at 2 feet, you wont experience much, so it should be pretty effecient.
There is no head loss in a cls, just friction. Elbows,unions,valves all contribute to friction loss.
 

·
Just some guy, you know?
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
fchidsey said:
Whiskey with the exteranal pumps previously mentioned can they run a cycle like off for 5 min on for ten or will the pump burn up also what kind of noise do they make when they are treated like that?

Fred.
That will burn them up, the starter cap can't take that.

Whiskey
 

·
Just some guy, you know?
Joined
·
22,653 Posts
afbengochea said:
well i have my mag12 on my return setup externally. Never had a problem as far as leaks go. I have heard some of these mag pumps might leak, but its usually because of a badly seated seal.
What it seems happens, at least with the one I bought used, and the other one I bought for external use, is over time the front impeller cover warps causing the leak.

Whiskey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
I used silicone to seal mine because it leaked when it was brand new, a mag5. So, why take a chance, just seal it from the start.
On the other hand, I have a quietone5000 that I never had a problem with, so this may be even better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,355 Posts
Think Oceanmotion valved pumps or electronically controlled rotary valves for your CLS to alternate the flow through different openings in your CS system...


On-Off cycles that short are murder on these pumps as mentioned above
 

·
The Bitter Mod
Joined
·
7,059 Posts
afbengochea said:
I was thinking of just setting the mag 12 on a scwd unless someone thinks thats a bad idea.
Too much pump for a SCWD. Do a search for a thread by phishnoob and scwd. You'll find a link to their website with the data on switching rates versus gph.
 

·
uber-stupid
Joined
·
4,781 Posts
Squids have issues with jamming and not being able to be unjammed. The oceans motions will not jam. They cost a mint but you definatly get what you pay for. The squids also use the power of the pump to switch it self, costing you valuable flow. I thing a 900GPH pump gets a head loss down to about 500GPH just by switching one squid. And the max flow I beleive on the input is 900GPH. With the oceansmotion the switching is done with a programable solinoid valve and only uses about .05amps of juice from your wall socket. There is no comparison between the two products. The only benifit you get from the squid is the lower cost. But if you have to buy 4 or 5 of the squids your up there in cost with the oceansmotion and you still havn't come close to the ease of use or options available with the oceasmotion, not to mention that each time one of your squids jam up or break or start to leak you have to disasemble your CLS.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top