The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has to do with the amount of light and how much algae is needed within the creature but I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing. I have had corals do this and look much better and I have had corals do this and die. This is the first one that has done this in the new system.

I am running my lights for 2 hours per day on this tank untill they are aclimated to the new lighting. They came from a tank with 2 VHO bulbs with 1 daylight and one actinic. Now they are in a tank with 2 actinic PCs and 2 400 watt 15K MH. The LFS has thier lights on for 12 hours per day. They are in a 12,000 LUX zone.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i believe the way most people acclimate to new lights is to keep the light higher from the water, but run it for the full photo period, and slowly lower the light over a few weeks so that the corals can adjust.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I agree with andy, raise the lights up if You can or lower the coral. I think it will adjust to the new lighting over time. I take thing from lower light and add all the time , I have no problems with them, I only run MH's 4 hours a day and everything keep growing. I have been doing shorter MH's times for a long time and have not had any problems. Everything keeps growing, I don't think 2 hours of light is going to do any long time demage

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andy said:
i believe the way most people acclimate to new lights is to keep the light higher from the water, but run it for the full photo period, and slowly lower the light over a few weeks so that the corals can adjust.
vince said:
I agree with andy, raise the lights up if You can or lower the coral. I think it will adjust to the new lighting over time. I take thing from lower light and add all the time , I have no problems with them, I only run MH's 4 hours a day and everything keep growing. I have been doing shorter MH's times for a long time and have not had any problems. Everything keeps growing, I don't think 2 hours of light is going to do any long time demage

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Well, I used to do it that way but, this way seems to be working great. Like I said this is the first time this has happened in the new system. I have my older corals up to 5 hours per day. Some are in 18,000 lux zones and loving it. I started it out with 1 hour per day and bumped it up to 2 hours today. It was in my tank for 2 days with the 1 hour photo period.

whiskey said:
It looks bleached, try feeding it allot to help it get by, and if you can move it lower, or shade it that would be a good move.
I knew the minute I thought about posting this that I would see your name pop up here.

It is actually gaining more color. When I bought it it was very light tan almost white and was sold as pearl. Now it is taking on a pink hue. I beleive it will get darker pink as time goes on concidering that it has only been in a clean system with lots of light for 3 days and it has changed already.

As with the frogspawn I have it was severly bleached and shrunk up to almost nothing. I used the same light acclimation procedure as I am using now with added daily spot feedings of phyto. It has come a long way and is showing some great color (concidering) and has gained at least 400% more mass. I have not fed it phyto in about a week. It is continuing to get better. If you think I should feed this guy some phyto I will, Do I have to wait untill it is in night time mode to feed it or will it eat during the day?

Thanks guys.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I watched my frogspawn eat phyto. I will try some mysis. I hope my clowns saty off of it.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still need to know if it will only eat at night.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
How can you see Phytoplankton? It is microscopic. Try feeding it the coral a larger meety food, if it catches the food and draws it in then it will eat during the day. My frogspawn/torch will always eat, my green open brain has to have it's tentacles out, same with the candy, so just give it a shot.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Whiskey is right. these guys are meat eaters, not filter feeders. The bubble is also a lower light specimin like elegance. I would move it to a shady spot with moderate flow and pop the lights back on to a fuller photo period.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twitterbait said:
Whiskey is right. these guys are meat eaters, not filter feeders. The bubble is also a lower light specimin like elegance. I would move it to a shady spot with moderate flow and pop the lights back on to a fuller photo period.
whiskey said:
How can you see Phytoplankton?
I know they are meat eaters my torch eats every time I feed the fish. When I spot feed the frogspawn, I turn off all the pumps and flow in the tank wait untill the water stops moving. Squirt a shot of phyto into the coral and watch it pull the phyto into its mouth. It looks like a pile of green mucus.

I will move it down to the bottom of the tank and see how it looks over the next couple days. I cannot change the photo period as I have several other corals getting acclimated in that tank right now as well. This one is the only one doing funny things.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is a shot where you cans see pink in the bubbles and (I just noticed) blue in the mouth area. This is about 35mins after feeding zooplankton and krill.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Frozen mysis should work great. Everything in my tank seems to love the mysis. Even my button polyps that I have never seen close up on anything gobble it up, I didn't even think they ate meaty foods but they showed me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ive had a bubble coral for 23 years now. It was my first coral ever in my 55 gallon reef and I still have it and the 55 lol.
I never fed it but do feed the fish and it gets some flakes from them sometimes.
I had to move it to my 150 now cuz it was stinging everything in my 55 and it's not doing so well there (lower lighting and higher nitrates in that tank) so I should really move it back.

Anyway I think in the top photo it's just doing that to acclimate to the light. I've had many corals do that and were fine.
I would also up the lighting to more than 2 hours per day though.

Beware of sweepers especially at night. Mine had some about a foot long and could sting corals a good distance away.
I used to cut them off with a scissors lol but they just grew back.

kass

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
kass that is a good long time all right!

the bubble coral, no feeding needed. if you really want to Double the size then feed. If you are not wanting to raise the light and lower over time, the pick up Screening and layer that over the tank. taking one layer off every other day or so.
the Bubble will accept food, does not matter what it is. as long as it is small enough.( try to stay away from squid) if you decide to feed with a more meaty food make sure it is chopped up very very small. if it too big then it will spit it out. If you are going to keep give Phyto. ( kinda more of a candy for it) you only need to give it a little bit.
the perale color will be the pink and white mixed color. when i saw the picture at first i could not decide what you were asking.. i saw nothing really wrong withthe bubble .. now that i see the pinkiner ide of it coming out , a nice updated picture withthe lights on as you would normally have would be great

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Kass this guy is only about 3 inches in diameter. I have 240 watts of PC actinic on there for about 16 hours per day. The halides are only on for 2 hours per day I will make it three hours per day on friday.

I am taking about it expelling the zoaxellae (sp?) in the first pic.

I fed it some krill last night and it is puffed out real big today.

Here is another pic with the actinics and flash. I wont be able to get a picture with the halides on untill this weekend. When they are on I am at work.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Just a few notes on LPS in general:

--they will "eat" (grab with their tentacles and stuff into their oral opening) just about anything you put near them that has a tactile sense to it. Eric Borneman did a feeding demonstration in his Coral Biology course that used plastic beads as a stimuli to elicit a feeding response...

--Most of these creatures come from slower current, lower light environments, and will tolerate just about horrid water quality that would kill many stony corals. Although they do not target feed microalgae or phytoplankton, they might benefit from injesting "clumps" of it that contain animal organisms, although I do not believe they can successfully assimilate the phyto itself due to lack of enzymes to digest the cell walls of plant-like foods. Remember that the feeding apparatus that an organism evolves is usually related to the type and size of its targeted food items.

--What appears to be an expelling of zoox event in some corals may be the normal expulstion of undigested items taken in by the tentacles, or the residue of food items that were digested to whatever extent is possible by the specimen in question. Cnidarians are sacks, not tubes, and as such only have one orifice...

--These creatures generally are nocturnal feeders, and will extend their tentacles most frequently when the lights are out. The best time to feed is at night or just after the lights go out or before the lights come one. Regardless, they will usually respond with a feeding response once the water is chummed.

Just a few items of interest that might steer the discussion.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, you think it could have been taking a [email protected]? I need a detailed book on feeding corals. Does anyone have any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
So, you think it could have been taking a [email protected]? I need a detailed book on feeding corals. Does anyone have any recomendations?
Exactly, especially if you have been feeding it a phyto product in paste form.

As far as a coral biology book specifically dealing with feeding, you might be better served by subscribing to a good journal like Springer-Verlag's Marine Biology, a pricey but awesome investment in journal access, and subscription gives you internet access to past journal issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts