The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Someone in Chicago is selling their copperband butterfly (along with the rest of their tank), and I heard they were reef safe. Of course when I heard they like freshwater clams, I thought "Well gee, wouldn't that mean they would like my tridacnid clams as well? I'm just trying to find something "different" for my reef than the usual tang, clown, blah blah blah.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Montanarocknreefer has one and has had no trouble with his:)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
We have a copperband and 3 clams. No problem with him nipping at them at all. The butterfly will probably eat all of your tube worms, bristle worms, and anemones though. Not completely reef safe but a great addition with some planning!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
As Casey has stated I do have a Copperband Butterfly in my 80 gallon reef aquarium! The fish was orginially purchased for a bad aiptasia problem I had but with the help of three peppermint shrimp I no longer have this problem.
The copperband is a beautiful fish and have had it for a few months now and has not bothered any corals, inverts or other fish to this point! The biggest problem seems to be getting it to feed but Brooke turned me on to the use of mysis shrimp and from day one it took to it really fast and also have got it to eat my home made "mush" as well! I don't know what I would do without my copperband now! So I would say give it a try! I also have four clams and no problems there!!:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have 2 anemones, a green carpet and a BTA. Of course I have clowns in the BTA to protect that, but would the CB go after those anemones? I do have plenty of small featherdusters in the sand for it to much on too. Thanks for the tips so far.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I do have 2 anemones, a green carpet and a BTA
The copperband is safe with those guys!!

Feather dusters will disappear for sure!!;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well maybe I will look at picking him up from this guy, especially since he has obviously had him for some length of time. Thankfully I'm not too attached to the featherdusters. So besides featherdusters/tube worms, bristleworms, and aptasia, is there anything else I need to worry about this guy munching on?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
At this point I can't think of anything else to worry about!

Pic of my Butterfly:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you are very attached to your current big anems I would pass on the butterfly. There is no guarantee that it will not nip at your anems. Each fish is different. Overall ours is a model citizen. We don't have any anemone's though.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Your are probably right Brooke about anenomes as each fish is different! I have a large BTA in my tank and the butterfly stays completely away from it!;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was in the LFS yesterday and a local supplier was in there. I was talking to him for a while and he mentioned that the Heniochus Butterflies from Hawaii were 'reef-safe'. Is this true? He said most of the year they go down to 200'+ deep and never have adapted to eating corals. Maybe JennM or Tom or one of the many 'experts' can weigh in on this. Thanks for the help!

-Big Dave

·
Registered
658 Posts
My Copperband is also a model citizen aside from 'rushing' the purple firefish on occassion and sometimes nipping a clam mantle when he's late getting breakfast.
He never actually damages the clam... but I thought it worth mentioning.
Mine also only eats live food... I've tried various other frozen foods (mysis, brine shrimp plus, blender mush) and it doesn't respond to them... anything live though brings out a feeding frenzy.

It's a great fish otherwise... it's like a little puppydog whenever I'm approaching the tank with food... all happy and wiggling all over. :)

HTH.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Hey Reefer Addict. Try mixing the live food and the mysis together. Then slowly decrease the amount of live food till you catch the butterfly eating the mysis. It did take our guy a few weeks to really eat frozen food with gusto....getting them really good and hungry helps too ;) (j/k).

·
Administrator
47,619 Posts
Best bet would be to make sure and find out what the present owner is feeding it and watch it eat, esp frozen whatever.
I realize this is dated but what was the outcome?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not pick up one from the guy in Chicago, but after I lost 1/2 my fish due to the power outage, I need to eventually restock, so I am thinking of picking one up eventually. Need to wait for my tank to settle down first though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish loss paintguru. Did you lose any corals or clams also? Man, with all these power outages, I think I need to seriously consider getting a small portable generator.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Phantom Phish and PaintGuru! I can understand both of your concerns with power outage and wanting a generator! With all the fires out west and around Missoula, Mt where I live, we could easily have power loss here as well!:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts