The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of putting Vitamin C in the sump and it would help with color and fight off disiese. is this just urban myth?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
There is a guy near me that doses it and swears it helps his zoos.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is his technique? would it hurt anything?

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
what is his technique? would it hurt anything?
Only been over there once. Not sure how he does it. It's only about an hour from your place though. I could point you in his direction.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Seems like a bad idea to me. Are there any quick fixes in reef tanks? Sugar, vodka, vitamin C. You'd be better off mixing all three together and have a cocktail. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Seems like a bad idea to me. Are there any quick fixes in reef tanks? Sugar, vodka, vitamin C. You'd be better off mixing all three together and have a cocktail. :thumbup:
I would have to agree.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was pretty cleaver!:beer:

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
A good rule to follow is don't add anything you cant test for. Every tank is different. What works in one may not work in another. How do you find recommended dosing? What do you do if you make a mistake? What other chemicals or elements will react with it? If you cant answer these questions with precise information to back it up then you are playing Russian roulette with your tank. As said above, there are no quick fixes in a reef tank. Adding a bunch of junk is a waste. Keep it simple and fixes will be simple.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
As far as adding Vitamin C to a tank, probably in a readily available commercial form,ie tablet or some liquid form. Lets start with what is vitamin C, well chemically or genericaly its Ascorbic acid(mild pH) so if it's not already bound up in the cells of some critter in the marine food chain, what do you suppose happens to a mild caid substance introduced into a marine environment? Remember the target pH of a Marine tank? Approx 8.3 ideally, so given the difference and the volume of base solution how long do you think it's going to be effective in a higher pH environment? Do we really want to contemplate binders and fillers in commercial Vitamin C tabs or solutions?
I am not a chemist or a Dr so take that for what it's worth BUT

·
Registered
159 Posts
lace rock was cheaper at that time it was my first few ideas of setting up a tank and not sold on the idea of $150 on LR yet ha ha then i came to realize that if i start a tank for get about the cheap way with a saltwater tank because they ain't cheap 8 weeks and up to about $400 already with bout all the old FW setup that i had and still need protein skimmer, CA reactor, and new lighting thinking of T5 but to just sit and gaze into the ocean every morning before work for that 10 min daily vacation plus all the other times makes it all worth while

<o:p> </o:p>

40gal tank
35lbs LR 12lbs Lace rock
20lbs of CC bed
30 watt perfecto-o-lamp
2 Powerheads and 1 koralia pump

·
11,345 Posts
Ive been playing with it lately.

Im convinced it has nothing to do with the vitamin C itself, but with the oxidation it does to the water and it breaks something down in the water allowing your skimmer to remove it.

I think my system is efficient enough that I can make these claims whereas the majority of the zoanthid people run dirtier tanks, all they noticed was some slight improvement in their polyps, I noticed some change to my water chemistry iteslf and am dosing a sps dominated system, with polyps on all the fringes. Keep in mind that the vitamin C and associaited oxidation is dead within 8 hours of dsoing (maybe less)so the benefits are very short term.

I first started using it a few weeks ago, incidentally on the tail end of a massive reaquascape in which I pulled lots of rocks out and abused them by leaving them out for extended periods of time and drilling the crap ou t fo them. The first day I started dosing it changed the smell of my skimmate....made it reek. Didnt cahnge the color or amount of what I was pulling out.....just the smell. this only lasted a couple days, as the die off only lasted a couple of days.

Regardless.......I think there is some benefit here and I am going to continue playing with it

ps- Im using pure vitamin c crystals. no fillers that you get with the pills

·
Registered
317 Posts
Perhaps the reek came from the insides of the rock you drilled.

I kinda doubt the vita c oxidizes the water. It is an anti-oxident, after all. If that was your goal, simple ozone would be more effective. Anti-oxidents protect the body from reactive oxygen.

Perhaps if one were using ozone the vita c would serve as some sort of protectant? Would be an interesting study. One of you college students get on this pronto please :) (seriously, would be a great thesis)

·
11,345 Posts
Perhaps the reek came from the insides of the rock you drilled.

I kinda doubt the vita c oxidizes the water. It is an anti-oxident, after all. If that was your goal, simple ozone would be more effective. Anti-oxidents protect the body from reactive oxygen.

Perhaps if one were using ozone the vita c would serve as some sort of protectant? Would be an interesting study. One of you college students get on this pronto please :) (seriously, would be a great thesis)
the reek most defintiely came form the die off associated with my massive reaquascaping....my point is that I know my systems well, and I know htat they are extrememely efficient, efficent enough to be able to tell when something abrupty changed when I started the dosing. I have the ability to strip the water clean as it is...soiemthing in the dosing allowed soemthing else that wasnt usually able to be pulled out...get pulled out.

Im no chemist by any means, I know what it takes to get the job done. I tripped on my words when I said "oxidized".

Instead of retyping his owrds...i will just quote a simple statemnt jdieck said in reference to this....

Humans due to a genetic defect can not create the vitamin as part of our biological processes but most animals can and there is no knowledge of how or if at all the corals can benefits from elevated levels of the vitamin per se but from some other effects in might have in the aquarium chemistry.
Being an antioxidant the addition of the ascorbate will brake the molecule of many of the refractory oxygen and nitrate based organics that pollute our tanks and feed some bacteria (like our beloved cyano) and are not typically skimmable. By breaking the molecules it can make them skimmable thus improving the overall quality of the system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts