The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Someone on here has one... though I can't recall who. I think they're also called orange spot rabbitfish. Not all of them are as dramatic as the one you've linked, but they can be.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a pink spotted rabbit fish he's in my 130 fish only tank and boy does he grow fast . He's an awesome fish tho . also have a scribble rabbit fish in my reef tank he's always grazing .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have that exact one. I got him a couple days ago. I'm thinking of taking him back because he is eating some of my coral. He has eaten some of my trumpet coral and zoos

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I have that exact one. I got him a couple days ago. I'm thinking of taking him back because he is eating some of my coral. He has eaten some of my trumpet coral and zoos

Welcome to TRT !

I had a one spot rabbit fish that went coral munching :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thankyou dobejazz. I guess I jumped into the discussion without formally introducing myself and my system.( such bad manners). I have a 125gal. reef; 250w metal halide system, with a modified 55 gal sump refugium with mangroves, chaeto, about a six inch sand bed, and a newly added corallife superskimmer.
livestock:Tomini Tang, Chevron tang, sailfintang, combtooth blenny, mated pair canary blennies, mandarin goby, pink spotted goby, leopard wrasse, solar wrasse,perc. clown, fridmani pseudochromis, and yellow blotch rabbitfish.

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
WOW, whatcha gonna do when that sailfin tang and orange spot grow a little and you don't have room for them?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I've heard the same thing of various rabbitfish. The same can be said of a lot of surgeonfish out there too... I know a number of folks who've had blue hippo tangs that started to eat zoanthids and other soft corals.

Like others have said, you may consider taking the rabbitfish back and putting the kibosh on fish additions. Sound like you've got a full setup!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have one of those . I know of a few others that have them also . Mine likes any kind of polyps (except for the GSP) and once in a while a bite or 2 of a leather coral . He hasn't touched any sps or lps . That being said he is a beautiful fish and grows fast .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I don't think I'll be getting rid of any of my fish. Them starting to out grow my current setup betters my argument for the larger setup that I want.
:beer:

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i guess that guys out of my picture iam planing fish i wont in my tank iam building i realy dont wont to put any fish in thir i had in my other tank so iam thinking different

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I'd like to update my rabbitfish issue. I, instead of taking him out, moved my polyps to the other side of the tank because I noticed he only stayed on the side that intially had the coral. To my surprise, he didn't seem to want them anymore. So I moved them back to theyre originial spot and he still has'nt touched them. So for now everything is peaceful. But I will still keep my eyes on him.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
He will get big, start planning on a larger tank...of course I think we all do the moment we bought the one we currently have...ha! Nice fish, I have seen them a couple times at our LFS here in KC, but even with my 260, I am very aware that my fish will get big one day and outgrow their current environment. Rabbits are very neat, and enjoyable fish. They seem to have their own passive little smile and attitude.

-Ken

·
ReefDreams
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea if i did get one i would make shure i getem as small as possible and ive seen them very small ....the tank iam working on is a 140 ....tops done ive just been wateing to paint .. will post pics in diy forms ..any how i love that fish can any one post picz of thirs ?????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts