The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the latest LiveAquaria.com catalog at home and was flipping through it and was very disappointed as to their instructions on how to setup a reef tank. The instructions are totally backwards from the way I was taught to set up a reef tank. On page 38 they have the following step to assembling the aquarium and curing the live rock.

STEP 1

1. Pour the sand into the bottom of the aquarium.
2. Arrange the live rock as desired.
3. Fill the aquarium with declorinated water.
4. Add salt (dissolve and mix) until the specific gravity measures 1.025.
5. Install the heater and hood.
6. Use the timer to set the lights to go on and off in 12-hour increments with the timer.
7. Wait four weeks.

I don't know about the putting fresh water in the tank with your live rock and then mixing your salt into your tank.

Is that not going to kill what is beneficial in your live rock which defeats the purpose of paying all of that money for the expensive LiveAqauria rock in the first place?

What is your opinion on this practice?

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Here's mine:

>I would like to respectfully point out that in your instructions on how to start up a reef/SW tank, you have stated that you should add the sand, live rock and then add freshwater and salt mix. This is incorrect. Adding fresh water to the live rock is going to kill off much of the life, bacterial and animal, in the rock.

The best way to get started is to add freshwater to the tank (this also aids in leak detection!) add the salt, let it mix for 24 hours (this allowds the salt mix to stabilize and lets it clear of ammonia) THEN add the sand and the live rock.

Thank you so much for your attention on this matter.

Alice Hart
Administrator
www.thereeftank.com
A friendly, flame-free bulletin board for all knowledge levels of SW aquarium hobbyists

:D

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Here's the reply from LiveAquaria/Drs. Foster and Smith:

>Dear Alice,

Thank you for your email.

Thank you so much for pointing that out to us. We have just recently noticed the error ourselves and we are taking corrective measures to inform our customer of the proper method. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and we thank you for your feedback.

If you have any additional comments, questions or concerns, feel free to contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at [email protected]

Sincerely,
Aaron
Live Aquaria
Customer Service<

That was pretty quick!

Alice

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
:beer: Alice!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the follow up Alice you are the BOMB with turning around a situation. I will check out the next catalog and update everyone and see if it was corrected properly.

Thank you Cath. BRW ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Earl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.