Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 6.5%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have this turned off right now...would be easy enough to turn on if people would like it.

Only downside is it'll scrunch things up on the page where the threads are listed just a bit with the rating (1-5 stars).

Threads are rated from 1 to 5 stars based on whatever qualifications you like. This might be a nice way to highlight interesting threads.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Brooke,

I think this would be especially useful, but I doubt that a 1-5 rating would suffice. I think we have a lot of great threads that could be classified or rated with something like:

- Informative
-References to external information
-Great Reading (these are to cover some of Jay's threads) :rolleyes: :funny:
no offense Jay - you have a lot of informative threads as well
-Help needed
etc., etc.

Once you classify them, then you could rate them. Doing the 1-5 is probably easy to do, the other is harder. Maybe we could adopt a relationship between the 1-5, like 5 being an informative or help thread.

Ross

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree. . . a 1-5 rating system just wouldn't cover many of the threads. I get much enjoyment out of the "fluff" threads and much information from the others. That doesn't make them any better or worse than the other. Getting a chuckle from the trials and tribulations of others helps put my woes into perspective. . . kinda keeps me going some days :D

On the other hand, such a rating system placed, perhaps, on the archived items would be more helpful. . . would keep the "research" time more, well, focused ;). . .

Just a few thoughts anyway. . . of course, something like this would probably be more than turning a feature on or off :eek:

Personally, I like the way things are laid out :beer:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well..the standard feature on this software involved just a rating from 1 to 5 stars. I can't easily alter the functionality of the rating system. I have stayed away from using this in the past because I dont want someone to be offended if their thread is rated a 1. The only way to really gauge how good/informative a thread is right now is to look at replies and views. Of course everyone is different and looking for different information.....so many people would rate things differently.

OK..I've babbled long enough. I'll wait and see how the voting goes. Also...we've prescreened all the threads in the archives. They should all be helpful in one way or another.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I know of anther forum that has them enabled, but nobody has used it after the first week or two.... May be different on a forum with a different personality though.

G

·
if we were able to keep stats jonnys would be an avg of 1 star.....at least that what i think he is implying

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Of coarse 1 would be the very best depending on how each individual would rate the thread or on how Clint would rate each one of my threads!!:p:
Of coarse I would rate every thread on the following factors:

1. Taking the time to answer a thread.
2. Putting forth the best possible answer your are able to give or if not sure do not answer and let someone more knowledgealbe in the area to respond. And I admit I fall short in this area!
3. Having people acknowlege your reply and are very happy with the answer! Here Clint would fall short!:D
4. Having patience and understanding when dealing with a problem or solution and remembering we were all there ourselves at one point.
5. Giving a very constructive and helpful answer instead of flaming and given encouragement where it is needed.

But personally I see no need to rate a thread as this may discourage people from applying to a thread. This makes my head hurt!:)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i agree with johnny. i would be worried that someone may not look into a thread because it got a low rating, when in fact it may be the very thread they needed to check to get the info they may be seeking. or rather to get info they needed but didnt even know they needed. make sense?

often threads here tend to take a turn at some point or anotehr, and often times, the topic may totally change, and become usefull in some other important or sometimes unimportant way. in that respect a thread may start out and get a low rating, but then turn into something very important, that would otherwise get a high rating, but due to the low initial rating, some people may never check it out, thus missing out on valuable information, or pics of johnnys tank, or the latest in my soap opera of a life :D

my only other concern would be that all my threads would get low ratings :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
I voted 'no' because I frequent other forums that use a rating system and I don't think ratings would serve any useful purpose at TRT.
In the other forums, the ratings are used to help improve the signal-to-noise ratio so that you spend less time trying to find something useful... whereas I find every thread here useful or entertaining to some degree. :)
There's also going to be concern from the thread starter as to why their thread is rated anything less than a '5', but it's my feeling that with such kind-hearted people that frequent this forum every thread will be rated a '5'... and I don't think that will help much... :D
The other things that have been changing with the forum have been great, but I don't think a ratings system is needed.

TRT is a great place.

G

·
okay i will do a serious post....here....i clicked no as well..for the reason the rating system might be based upon how it is worded...im not the best at explaing things all the time and so it might get a lower rating..also in a hobby where there is no stupid questions...there sould be no stupid or low rated threads

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldn't look at a threads rating personally.

I would be worried that threads that need answers would get buried quickly that way as well.

·
Super Moderator
28,204 Posts
Johnny and Jay! what great answers. I don't see any need for ratings either.

the number of responses and views does help rate a thread anyway. I look at a lot of threads, but only answer to a few. Hmm...the number of posts by my name make me a liar in that regard...;)

Still... some very good threads are answered correctly in just one answer...sadly, those do get buried because of lack of activity.

Who's talkin' about fallin' short around here. Short is good too :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am not in favor of rating the threads. However, I would be in favor of a forum by which we could rate products, based on type and brand. This would be informative and archived so that the information is always available, especially to the new folks.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Toadfish said:
I am not in favor of rating the threads. However, I would be in favor of a forum by which we could rate products, based on type and brand. This would be informative and archived so that the information is always available, especially to the new folks.
We have this!! Click on the reviews button above. There are sections for product and livestock reviews. If your product is not there...feel free to upload a review for it. I'm not sure why people are missing out on this section??

·
Super Moderator
28,204 Posts
hehehehe It's like, duh...I had to be lead by the nose to find the calendar for birthdates, fer kryin' out loud :rolleyes: And before Jon so politely told me where it was, I was just waiting for the new day to arrive to find out who were the birthday kids. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.