The Reef Tank banner

Do you use any man-made rock in your tank?

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Not yet... but maybe next time I need more rock.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I did... but not now.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 55.6%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to see how many of y'all use any man-made rock, be it actual rock pieces or even rock walls, etc. When I say man-made I mean anything created not by nature, but by human hand.

Kinda curious to see what percentage of the members do use it. Please, by all means, post your opinion of why or why not.. I'd love to hear it.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hard to answer
I was waiting for it to cure, then I moved and don't have my tank set up yet
Good point you got there. I guess maybe Not yet, maybe when I need more rocks? How long did it take to cure out of curiosity?

no because I figure like most things its not as good as the original
Did you make your own, or was it bought from someone else? Am curious to know why you believe it is not as good. I ain't gunna lie, I think I've seen more less-good examples than up-to-par examples.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Mine isn't man-made, its woman made by a reef club member that I got it from. But, in the future, it will either be man made DIY rock or bas rock, not sure yet. Both have advantages.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I think someday we will all be getting manufactured rock, but I do not currently believe it filters like the real thing. When it gets better and cheaper (or real live rock become unavailable or more expensive) I will use it

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
yes, I have a few pieces in my tank currently, they started out as the first two pieces of rock I had in my 55 a couple years ago (has it really been that long!) either way, I think I am goin to set up the 29 AP for my Macro tank with DIY rock :)

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Tony, are your DIY rocks red or purple? I have three DIY rocks made by LadyReefNeck and all three have red coralline but all the rest of the rocks in the tank have purple coralline on them. It was suggested/guessed that the Ca content in the rocks can play a part in the color of the coralline but I don't know for sure.

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Tried that, had nothing but problems with it. Never do that again.

· Registered
53 Posts
I was looking into making my own for my current build, but then surfing Clist one day this weekend I found someone selling about 50 pounds of it. I called and found out the guy owned a rental property and the tenants just up and moved out without notice and left behind a tote of it in the garage. Asked how much he wanted for it and he said $10 for the whole box. I explained that it was worth much more than that, and he said just come and get it out of the garage. Ended up paying $15 for it in the end. It was a good weekend lol.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
it's purple... I think it has more to do with the region the coralline came from. Caribbean coralline has a tendency to have more reds and oranges from what I have seen.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Seems that red is the predominant color for coralline with the other colors being less frequent. Just not sure what dictates the color of it. Most caribbean coralline I have seen was either red or orange. Not sure if its ca content in the rocks (doubtful) or something else in the different ocean makeups that cause different colors. Wonder if its not something causing the color but rather if its something preventing the color from being some other color. Hmmm.

Electrobes, it will happen, just give it time. Then you will get tired of scrubbing it off.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heh, by the time the coralline algae ever sets in, my corals will have probably covered the rocks, barring any catastrophes. Truth be told in the 5 or so years in this hobby I've never had much luck with coralline. ;)

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
They are having a DIY rock meeting next month in NC and I believe that the guy that is doing it (marineduud) is the same one that organized the DIY rock meeting where my rocks were made in Jacksonville (before he moved to NC). Hopefully, there will be a good write up on it and some of the potential issues can be resolved or figured out.

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
Its a TRAC club meeting. Send marineduud a PM and ask about it.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f297/
Robert is in Raleigh and Google says thats about a 300 mile trip from Greenwood though.

Not sure what day of the month they have there meetings but Toms pig roast is the third saturday of next month so it may interfere with each other.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.