The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I have called said they wouldn't do it because of liability. I'm not sure what to do. The glass is fine in it, just the seam between the overflow and the glass on one side and the seam in the corner in the overflow where the two pieces of glass meet. We have even cut a huge hole in the wall between two rooms to accomodate for the aquarium. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
do it yourself, find out the exact requirements (i think charles offered to tell you what glue to use) that way you can do it right and if it fails there is nobody to blame. it's not that difficult to do. i attached my acrylic to glass with 2 part epoxy the 30 minute stuff. then when the epoxy dried i used silicone over it. i,m not sure if thats the correct way to do it but it has lasted for three years with plenty of abuse. i still cant figure out how so much water drained on the floor with standpipes in the drain. the way i have mine set up the top of the standpipe is only about an inch from the top of the over flow

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I just went back and re-read your original post. I was thinking it was a tank seam that was leaking. I'm with Wasabi on this, extend the standpipe up to near the top of the overflow and you shouldn't have this problem in the future.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the tank seam that busted, as well as the connection between the overflow and the glass. The standpipes are near the top of the overflow already. I really have no idea why it busted now when it has been sitting full of water for a few days. It happended about 12 hours after I started the pump and skimmer.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Ahhh well that is a bummer. You may have better luck trying to find someone that will fix it if you agree to accept their work "as is" and with no expectations of a warranty. To me there is not much incentive to make a repair if you have the potential of having to pay for damages caused by a leak. Even tank manufacturers don't warrant against that.

I know there is a local guy that makes glass tanks. I don't know his name but I would imagine most LFS know who he is.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I stated this in the other post but thought i would reiterate.

I beleive you have a leveling problem which caused the one corner seam to pop. Even if everything was level just after adding water the pressure after a few days might have changed that. Remember the weight of water and glass was somewhere near 4,000 lbs.

Your floor may have sagged or bowed in one area. Your stand may have sagged or bowed. It just sounds like that due to the one corner comming out of alignment enough to see through. Unfortunatly as soon as some of the water drained (some of the weight removed) your floor or stand may have came back into alignment and if you checked now you might now be able to tell.

Charles

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I missed the original thread, I'll look for it shortly but I'll post what I know about warranties......

If somebody other than the manufacturer tampers with the seal, any warranty by the manufacturer is void. For most manufacturers, if the tank is not on their own stand, warranty is void.

Having said that, All-Glass replaced a tank for Steve & Margi Shindell, even though it was on another surface (I vouched for them, and AGA replaced the tank), and also they reimbursed some or all of the clean up expense when their 155 bow leaked last year. What a day that was -- ToddinAtl, Jorge and Eric from Aquarium Showcase, Matt and John from Marine fish, and I, all had a hand in getting their tank swapped out. 12 hours after the leak was discovered, we had them up and running again.

I've seen Perfecto replace a tank and reimburse the victim for lost livestock.

I'm not sure what the limitations of liability laws are here in GA, versus other places, but I have a feeling that state laws govern just what is covered and what is not, and here in GA the consumer seems to have more protection.

If the tank was made by Oceanic and it's on their stand, you should have some recourse - if it's not on their stand, sorry but "tough cookies". They don't budge on that at all.

I'll go read the other thread and if I have anything to add, I'll do so there.

Jenn

·
Registered
808 Posts
i was hoping i would find someone else in the same un-fortunate plafce as me. i just put my 135 up and filled with water for two days after re-installing the frames that came loose. i had no leaks for two days and drained it. two days after that i re-filled it about 8" deep to try out a venturi i had been trying to make and it leaked as soon as i put 1" of water in it!? so i instantly called around to find some sealant and went to work. carefully removed all originL sealer i could. alcholed everything in the tank. re-sealed with Perfecto sealant. and am in the last day of curing time now before i fill it. i did however after 1 day turn the tank over, remove the bottom frame AGAIN and resealed the tank from the underside also,just wanted to cover the bases. and again put on the frame. one day left to cure and i should be home free. sorry for the looong post here.

and yes the venturi worked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.