The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Some people like DSB others like it thin. I have a 24 gallon with 25 lbs of Live sand. It's about a inch and a half, so I'm in the middle I quess. Hopefully someone will chime in and give a reason for deepsand beds.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
kinda depends on your preference. I had a shallow bed like yours for a year but recently decided to add 15 more lbs of sand to my 55 gallon. if you want to go deeper, add another 10 lbs but once tank is cycled, be sure to get some detrivore kits (pm me for where I got mine) so they can move it around enough to keep hydrogen sulfide pockets from forming. if you do that, make sure you dont get any sandsifting fish. other option is to keep it shallow and keep the rockwork open enough for ease of maintenance i.e. stir it up manually or vacuum to keep it clean/allow skimmer to skim detritus once youve stirred it up. in this case you could possibly get a brownbar sandsifting goby (they are reportedly hardy but the book still recommends supplemental feeding 3 times a day), that is if it is within the fish load of your tank and you dont mind it possibly going after your zoanthids.

·
11,345 Posts
Here is all the information you ever wanted to know and then some from TRT's finest.......i dont post in this thread....i just read it

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23293

Ok, that whole thing about not ever posting in that thread is most likely a lie......i dont RECALL ever posting in that thread and im sure i had nothing of substance to add to it if i did:arg:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts