The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. As most of you know I'm sure, I've been having problems with my nitrates:angry: I have a 150 with about 12 fish lr and ls and a sump/refg(20 gallon). Ive removed my bio balls all my sponges cut back on my feeds from once-twice a day to 3x a week. I just did my first water change with my new ro unit. I'm happy to say my nitrates look like they might be starting to drop:banana: . The last time I tested them 3 days ago they were at 80ppm. After doing a 30 gallon water change sat they are now reading 40ppm. I've added about a gallon of top off (ro) water yesterday and today. I'm wondering if the water that is evaporating is also evaporating nitrates with it? Is it too soon to do another 30 gallon water change or would it be better to wait a week first?
Thanks for all the help
Patrick

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
In my opinion, if you are using saltwater made with RO/DI to do your water changes you can change water out daily if you'd like. No harm should be done to any one. RO water is perfect. I'm sure a trace amount of the nitrates is evaporating out with all the other minerals/elements in your water, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to help. Water changes, less feeding and cleaning up your tank will do the trick eventually! Good luck.

HHC

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I will add That You are going down in Nitrates mainly because of removing the Bio Balls, When You did that You helped Your tank alot, as far as them going out when the water evaporating, No , You also cut down on feeding. them two things along with water changes and Ro/DI water are doing it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
your doing great patrick, keep it up! now for the next problem, gettin that 150 up to 300 gallons and having a really big tank! lol ;)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Thats funny Andy. I have a small nyc apt and when thee mh come on the whole living room glows. Also thanks Andy, John and Vince! I think I will do another water change tomorrow about 20 gallon more.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL No Vince I'm not getting a 300 gallon tank. I cant keep the nitrates down in the one I have now

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
think of it this way, put everything you have in a 300 gal, fill it up with another 150, and you should have half the nitrates you have right now, instant fix!!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL Andy, I never thought of it that way! I'll send you my address so you can send me the check for that new tank. You must be one if not the nicest member of trt to buy me a brand new reef ready 300 gallon tank stand and hood along with lights filter and lr. Andy you could be my new best friend.
Patrick

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Thats one of the problems with toping off with tap water as the (pure) water evaporats and you replace it with tap water you are adding nitrates (and phosphates) to your tank. If you do a water change and you are removing water that has 5PPM nitrates and put in water that had 5PPM nitrates you are doing nothing to remove nitrates other than the biological filtration. Now do the same thing with top off water and for every gallon of water you add you add that many (PPM) NO3 to your tank. One reason why I think a RO filter is mandatory.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks three90s&125sump I'm finding that out. I just got my ro unit last sat and did a water change the same day and made enough water to use for a whole weeks worth of top off water.

·
Registered
131 Posts
as the water evaporates, the nitrate should get higher. i think the bio balls was the big change, keep up the good work. just after setting up my 125 i sat back and said wow that is a big tank, the next time i looked i said it needs to be bigger, now i have the 180 sump and a 90 fuge. still not enuff, "tank envey?" the tank is always bigger on the other side.
wtrguy

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
is there an outstanding question?

Nitrate's don't "evaporate" per say.

But they can dissapear ... via the final stage of the nitrogen cycle. This is a stage that most tank's lack, however...those with DSB's are really good at.

This is the stage where bacteria that thrive in anoxic layers (Very little or NO oxygen can get to) convert the nitrates into nitrogen gas, which then floats harmless up and out of your tank.

this happens to some degree deep inside denser pieces of LR, and very good deep at the bottom layer of DSB's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts