The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a red gorgonian. It's been doing pretty good. I moved it the other day to put it in a lower light spot. Since then it has not been opening up all of its polyps. I also noticed some bugs on it. It looks like isopods, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it possible that they are munching on my corals?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
usually pods will eat dying flesh of a coral, and people can mistake it for the pods actually killing the coral, but you should get a positive id on the bugs in question. here are a couple sites to browse for helpful id's

http://melevsreef.com/id/

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

if you can get a good id, it might help, but i would move the gorg back to where it was, light doesnt matter if its not photosynthetic, it was happy if it was openeing.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Ditto what Andy said.

Gorg's like good random flow. Is there less flow where you moved him to? Might be why he's not opening up as much.

Can you post a pic? Some are photosynthetic, some aren't. Can't tell which type w/out seeing it.

(the non-photo's are pretty hard to keep)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't move the gorgonian from its original spot. I was going to, but then decided against it. Every 3 days I put a drop of phyto max in an 8 oz. container of aquarium water, shut off the pumps and pour the phyto in. I wait until its polyps are open to do this (that's how they eat, right?). The polyps are opening again, but not all of them. I think it just got stressed from me picking it up and moving it around the tank.
I looked up the bugs. They seem to be the "harmless, reef-safe" isopods. It said that the only way to get rid of them is to shut down the entire tank. Here's a pic of the gorg:

·
Administrator
47,018 Posts
Isopods or copepods, Iso's are usually much bigger and will latch onto fish lick a tick

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I can't remember off hand...might be wrong, but the pic makes me think it's the non-photosynthetic kind. (white polyps are leaning me in that direction)

In which case, this one's gonna be hard to keep. You might get lucky...and you're doing exactly what needs to be done (feeding properly)...so only time will tell if that'll be sufficient.

I had a very similar guy...(Yellow w/white polyps). My recommendation is to take LOTS of pictures and stuff. Luckily these guys tend to fade slowly...but they don't do well in aquariums.

Again, I might be wrong...others will hopefully chime in.

Here's some more info on gorg's
(good links to more info on this page too):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/gorgidfaqs.htm

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
the reason i ask is b.c i have the non photo kind and i have never seen the polyps so big

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
my non photo is coming around i have had him for about a month and for the first couple weeks did not show its polyps but now is just about all the time and every day more and more show and i been spot feeding as well with SDMP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts