The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
As most of you know I've had an ongoing battle this week with my sump!
I have a 150 with allot of live rock I have no idea how much but will try to post a pic to give you an idea. Ive been here for over an hour trying to get the leval correct on my over flow so that my tank is full but my sump wont over flow if the power goes out. I really dont think I can get it to work. I really don't want another flood nor do I want to pay the landlord to have my floor and the guys down stairs roof fixed. Do I really need the sump? I have 2 seios 1 is 1100 one is 1500 and I have a aquaclear ph rated at 400 gallons per hour. I also have a hang on aquaclear 110 rated at 430 gph and I have a closes looprated at 150 gph.
Thanks for the help
Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Vinnie
Do you think I have enough flow and rock?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks Vinnie I just happen to have a cpl I will ditch the sump.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I just sit the mag down in the tank? no tubing needed? What would keep the fish from getting sucked in?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is mj models? What do they look like
the closed loop looks way to complacated for me lol

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cool thanks I will prob just stick them in now untill I find out how to adapt them

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well you really don't need a sump for flow. The purpose is to have somewhere to put your skimmer, heater and other stuff you don't want in your display.

I am not sure why you are having trouble with you sump still. From what you are saying the sump is still overflowing? As for the the overflow level that should be set it and forget it. That will just adjust the amount of water in the display tank. Mine is set for about 3/4 inch from the very top of the tank. Once you are happy with the level in your display leave it be. Now with your power off you are going to get back syphon from the return line. You need a syphon break in the return line. I am not sure what your return looks like. But a syphon break is usually a hole drilled right under the water level of the display. Here is a picture on one of my syphon breaks.

If you have a syphon break and are still having problems with the sump over flowing. Then you may have too much water in your system. I think you will be much happier with a sump on your system.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If you take away the sump, You need to have a much more than 150 gph cls. On my 29 gallon I am going to run a gen-x pcx 30 with 3 outlets doing about 600 GPH in total, + 500 GPH return from the sump. I run my sump at mazximum capacity b/c the skimmer aint in there. Thats about 1000 GPH total. That Lack of flow will yeild negetive effexts on corals and may cause algae buildup. I think I would just leave it alone. Your systm looks good, leave well enough alone

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks John I would love to have it back like it was with the rio but I can't go back to that. The rio is gone I bought a new mag 5 and the force on it is so much greater that my over flow wont keep up. Why it wont keep up I don't know. Ive tried everything to get it to work but if I get the tank level just above seeing the water top my sump is almost empty at that point if I fill the sump up then if for some reason the power goes out (3x already this yr) I would have at lest 10 gallons of water on the floor. Like I said I wish I would have left well enough alone but it's too late now. We had gotten use to the noise and that was no longer an issue but the potential flooding is. Right now I have the 2 seio 2600 gph combined, the hang on at 430 gph the eheim closed loop at 150 gph 2 aqua clear ph at 400 gph each. That gives me right at 3980 gph. is that enough? Plus I have the coralife 220 that is putting flow in the tank.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks psh the pic are great but I'm really an idiot when it comes to plumbing and all that stuff (as I'm sure people can tell you). I get overwhelmed adjusting the level on my skimmer. I would have to be put away somewhere if I ever attempted to assemble something like that. I can't even put Lego blocks together. Having said that I really do appreciate yours and everyones help here you all have helped me so much.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
thanks psh the pic are great but I'm really an idiot when it comes to plumbing and all that stuff (as I'm sure people can tell you). I get overwhelmed adjusting the level on my skimmer. I would have to be put away somewhere if I ever attempted to assemble something like that. I can't even put Lego blocks together. Having said that I really do appreciate yours and everyones help here you all have helped me so much.
Patrick

Patrick have you asked your LFS if they could come by and take a look at it? I know my LFS does tank set ups & maintenence it may be worth checking into.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Kelli I could ask them but I know they would charge an arm and a leg just to come to the house. Plus theve delt with me before I probly couldn't drag them out here lol. So you don't think I can have a happy tank with the tank the way it is now?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts