The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been learning more and more about reefing and I'm starting to get a feel for what I know I want to keep in my tank. My tank is a 50 gallon 36x18x18 with 15 gal rubbermaid sump.

I've decided I'd really like to go with a lot of SPS and clams, with maybe a possible LPS here and there, and a helping of shrooms and zoos (not really any other softies though because I know SPS and softies don't really mix too well.) I'm going for a colors here and that seems to be my best bet.

I have a TEK T5 light - four 39W bulbs with individual reflectors. I bought it somewhat prematurely as I'm realizing now - because I now see that there are six and eight-bulb versions of this light available. For some reason I didn't see them before on the reefgeek website, and I'm now wishing I had. I've also decided that for this current setup, I don't really have the facilities for MH. Everything I've read about individually reflected T5's seems to be holding up at this point, and they are really a perfect fit for my situation.

But - I'm wondering now - is my 136W of light enough to keep a tank of SPS and clams? My lights are about a month or so old, so selling them on eBay wouldn't really be so much of a problem for me - I wouldn't really mind it so much. I'm considering upgrading to either the 6-bulb or the 8-bulb. For what I'm looking to do, does this seem needed? Necessary? Unnecessary?

Thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
i would add another 80w if i had your setup. or even better: a 250w Halide. With 18" depth the T5's will struggle.
You will have no probelm keeping sps if you have it at the top of the tank. many people have had success with those bulbs
i have never used t5's but would be curious on the different light spectrum of each color of bulb. I'm starting to believe the spectrum plays a higher part in keeping sps than par does (unles your tank is 30" high)

A smaller tank is harder to keep SPS. Read alot.....small tanks are unforgiving

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would plan to only keep the SPS at the very highest of my rock. If I had the 6-bulb I'd be running 234W, and the 8-bulb, 312W.

My bulbs now are GE Daylight (6500K), Aquablue Plus (11000K), and 2 Actinics. With the 8-bulb setup, I'd just replicate that, but I'm not so sure what I'd do with the 6.

Also, I've heard a lot about how the individual parabolic reflectors do a lot for penetrating depths in water. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I would hold off and wait and save for a nice big upgrade and get the Mhs and keep anything you want,I love the T5s also.:banana:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I think you have a great setup now for the softies and such if clams and acros are what you want in the end then I would not spend any $$$ on clams now save it to get the lights MHs you want and a chiller probably and run the T5s as supplemental with the MHs that would rock!:banana:

·
11,345 Posts
Ill let you know my experiences over the last year and half which resulted in about $2500 of wasted money all said and done.

I was just like yourself. Doing too much too fast and buying bits and pieces,(NOT cheap...bits and pieces) but looking back I THOUGHT i knew what i was doing. So i kept doing what i THOUGHT was right for everything.
So right now I am building two systems that i have researched out and thought about from every angle and have asked LOTS and LOTS of questions. Both of these systems i am building now ARE going to be the envy of any reefer, regardless of experience but i am sitting on 3 other FULL set-ups that are useless to me and i will be lucky to get half what i paid for them just withint he last 6 months by parting them out on ebay and here and there wherever i can find someone who wants parts for a screaming deal becasue that is the only way they sell.
Sit down and just like you would work out any business plan.........work backwards before pulling the trigger on anything. Figure out your long term goal and figure out EXACTLY what you are going to need to accomplish that and then buy those parts and work with the end in mind. You of course DO need the luxury of some extra money sitting around(as well as time) to di it this way but it will save you a ton and make you happier in the long run.
Just my $.02.

You of course dont have to go all out like i did but work out a written plan and think before you jump on anything.

PS-I have lots of pumps, skimmers, glass tanks and stuff for sale CHEAP!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are right. The truth is that I'm really still learning a lot here. I'm going mainly with hardy species of everything here because I'm really learning as I go. It's SO hard not to want to rush with this hobby haha. My setup right now I think is going to work for what I'm looking to do. In a year or so I plan to upgrade, and I plan to buy the right, top-end equipment, and I plan to be doing so and purchasing things once a month so as to really really spread myself out not only financially but knowledgably as well.

If I'm gonna be keeping SPS's and the pickier clams, then I really should do it right, with MH's, a chiller, and a real big time awesome setup. As much as I envy tanks such as Casey's and whatnot, patience is bliss :). I simply just don't have the facility for all the equipment necessary for the big awesome tanks. One day I will.

Thanks to you too FlyGuy - and I'm sure you can tell I have at least four or five threads a week with probably some really annoying questions, but in the past 3 months I've essentially transformed all my attention to this hobby because it's become so addicting.

Thanks guys - This is good because now I really know where I can focus for my tank. I'll be goin mainly softies and LPS, hopefully with a squamosa here or there.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
jipps said:
If I'm gonna be keeping SPS's and the pickier clams, then I really should do it right, with MH's, a chiller, and a real big time awesome setup. As much as I envy tanks such as Casey's and whatnot, patience is bliss :). I simply just don't have the facility for all the equipment necessary for the big awesome tanks. One day I will.
Just wanted to say what an AWESOME attitude this is. Wish we'd see more of it in the hobby.

You definitely have a good head on your shoulders, and I think you're making the right decision. I started out like you, but didn't reach the same decision you did. Instead, I wasted LOTS of money on all kinds of equipement I THOUGHT I needed, but is now sitting in my garage.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
My hat's off to you Jipps - - that's the attitude, start slow, don't buy things you don't need now, research - - knowledge is power and there are tons of people here to help you every step of the way! I am slowly adding polyps and zoos to my fish only tank and learning as I go. Just bought MHalides and a chiller. So far the xenias, mushrooms and polyps are doing very well but I'm waiting until I buy anything else. I want to learn at this level first. Good luck! Great attitude!

HHC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts