The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 2'W 4'L 31"T. I got 5" sand bed and 14"H live rock. I got a 16"H canopy with 2 150 watts Metal Halide 20K HQI is this enough light to keep some corals the light are 8" above the tank water line any information will help. Thanks in advance. :help:

·
Registered
814 Posts
id remove at least three inches of that sand bed, unless youre going for dsb, just keep in mind you much vacuum the gravel often if its that thick.... other than that it sounds like youre on the right track, i think from those measurements youve got a 55g tank there, so that lighting is gonna be great, probably only run the lights 8 hrs a day though and watch the temp of the water as halides can boost your temp alot throughout the day, you could do pretty much whatever corals you want as long as you do your research and keep up on weekly water changes, test params, etc, i take it this is your first tank?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Yep, you can keep coral under that. :thumbup:

I would say most corals, but some of it depends on what you are wanting to keep. There would be some high light SPS that would need to be higher in the tank, especially with that high of a kelvin bulb.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ joejoe is a 150gal.
@ jenglish thanks for the info.
I need to add some power head any sugestion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts