The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is would it be beneficial or do i need an air pump or airstone in my oceanic bio cube 8 gal reef tank?

Also i have a small power head plus the stock filtration system with bio balls.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You,

Marcus.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is the best place to get live rock rubble (a LFS?) and how costly is it?

Lastly, How much per pound (price wise?) and how much should i get for a 8 gal oceanic bio cube (Replacing Bio Balls of course) .

Thanks,

Marcus

· Dances with fire
190 Posts
I mean no harm what so ever.... but like you I was once very illiterate to the reef keeping hobby. This site is full of very good information and the people are always helpful and friendly. IMO it sounds like you are very new to the game? I suggest before you get started with your tank that you take the time and do the research & ask any questions that you can't already find the answers to on the site. With a tank that small any minor adjustment or parameter out of kilter could cause major problems. Keep asking questions... and read, read, read..... when you get tired of reading.... read some more. :)

· Registered
8,356 Posts
Remove everything from the back of the Biocube. Do not put any liverock or media in there as it will produce nitrate and possibly clog with detritus over time. Liverock in a trickle tower enviorment will produce nitrates just like the bioballs. It's not the media (bioballs, biobale, liverock rubble, ceramic rings) that are the problem but the highly oxygenated trickle enviorment that allows the bacteria that produce nitrates to flourish.

Liverock should all be placed in the display side of the Biocube. Keep the sump area empty and siphon it out as you do your water changes.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean no harm what so ever.... but like you I was once very illiterate to the reef keeping hobby. This site is full of very good information and the people are always helpful and friendly. IMO it sounds like you are very new to the game? I suggest before you get started with your tank that you take the time and do the research & ask any questions that you can't already find the answers to on the site. With a tank that small any minor adjustment or parameter out of kilter could cause major problems. Keep asking questions... and read, read, read..... when you get tired of reading.... read some more. :)
I am not illiterate to this hobby by far. I have had many tanks before, just not one this small, let alone it being a reef tank. ( I am use to an aggressive setup) I just ask questions that the pros who have had experience with smaller Nano reef setups can answer. I want to create a positive and beneficial marine enviorment so my zoa's and Coraline can grow and be healthy.

· Registered
8,356 Posts
Remove the bioballs slowly, about 1/4 per week to avoid any sudden changes.

If you feel the need to have some filtration back there, this company makes an easily removeable media basket that can hold a piece of floss, some carbon or other media when needed and serve as a small refuge. They also show how to mod the 1st baffle for more flow.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-8_c14.htm

· Dances with fire
190 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean to give your the wrong impression... I just thought by the sounds of the questions you were asking you were new. As far as the rock in the back.... I guess I give you the wrong info.... That is just the info that I had been given. It is great that you are wanting to do the right thing with the setup. I wish you the best of luck. Listen to the pros here and they will not steer you wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.