The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i hit the wrong key , sorry. i have 80 live rock a 15 gallong sump with miracle mud. do i need a skimmer and if so what kind without spending a ton of money. nitrates are at 20 ppm. i need to lower them. any help will help, thanks

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you'll find that probably 99% of the folks will recommend a skimmer.

type there are a ton of them out there.

i went with an aquaclear aquatics model P75 on my 55g tank. it's rated for a 75g tank, so its more than suitable.

comes with a pump to run it. only cost 99 bucks if i remember correctly.

you can see pics of it in the equipment section of my site.

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
easys,
Welcome to the board! Can you tell us a little more about your tank? How long has it been set up? What's in it? and how much and how often do you feed it? With your Miracle Mud and live rock you should see very low nitrates once the tank has aged a bit. If I recall correctly, I don't think Sing (inventor of MM) recommends a skimmer with MM systems.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
welcome to the TRT!!

what is the substrate in the display? how deep is your mud? i think a skimmer would help. a 15g is a little small as far as surface area. the mud may not be able to keep up with your bioload. there are several options out there for skimmers, do you have room in your sump, or will you need a hang-on.

G~

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
Ditto on how long has it been set up. Ling Sy maintains that a "properly functioning" ecosystem will do it without skimming, or other artificial support.
Again I want to throw a caution out to those of ou who are just getting into reef keeping, there are several approaches to keeping reef organisms alive, some maybe better than others BUT one really has to try and understand the basic dynamics involved before deciding on a methodology to follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.