The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get a mushroom off a rock? I have a lot of baby mushrooms on one rock. I want to 'frag' them. Or, do I just cut them off the rock?

·
11,345 Posts
If by "frag" you mean give them to someone else as is....that has been answered........if by "frag" you mean make 4 mushrooms out of one, you can actually use the fact that it is attached to your advantage. Just take a NEW razor and cut it into 4 sections trying to get a piece of the mouth in each section. Your done and you dont even have to worry about securing them in place as they already are, and its much less stressful and damging to the animal by not trying to hold it in place while you cut it......

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want them off the rock that they are on and be able to put them on a different piece of rock. I want to take some from my nine gallon tank and put them into the thirty gallon tank.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
dang and i cant keep my mushrooms ON the rock
they float all over the place, too high flow i think
i buy a mushroom rock and within a few days they all let go and are floating in space somewhere
they are now populating under rocks and in dead spots
so like the above poster mentioned i think they hate high flow and let go on their own, then just scoop em up and place em where ya want :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would take the populated rock and place it in the new tank and crank the flow. They will drop off and when they do cut back the flow and place them where you want them A few small frags of rock on three sides will hold them in place till they attach. After that they will do their thing.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I tried using a power head to get mine to release but they just closed up into tiny little balls. They are spreading like crazy. Right now I have move the rock up against another rock hoping they will just start spread onto that rock. We'll see!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts