The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some advice. I have a 38 gal (36" x 12" x 20") that is going to be a reef tank. Right now, it's just filled with live sand, live rock, my algae attack critters, and a Copperband Butterfly, which btw is eating well and taking care of the aiptasia problem i HAD:thumbup:...anyway, i have a Aqualight 150W HQI 14000K clamp on. I'm planning on keeping a variety of corals...probably starting with some soft corals, maybe some polyps...working my way up to an SPS(bird's nest) and a ultra blue maxima clam. do you think that is enough?

·
Registered
172 Posts
i need some advice. I have a 38 gal (36" x 12" x 20") that is going to be a reef tank. Right now, it's just filled with live sand, live rock, my algae attack critters, and a Copperband Butterfly, which btw is eating well and taking care of the aiptasia problem i HAD:thumbup:...anyway, i have a Aqualight 150W HQI 14000K clamp on. I'm planning on keeping a variety of corals...probably starting with some soft corals, maybe some polyps...working my way up to an SPS(bird's nest) and a ultra blue maxima clam. do you think that is enough?
IMO you have enough light directly under light depending on reflector but on sides not directly under light you are probably a little light on light.

How far is light above water line?
How dispersed is the light?
Are you running any tops? glass or otherwise?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the light is about 10" from the water surface. I used to have it lower, but i found that the light was too concentrated in the middle of the tank. I think the light is pretty well dispersed across the tank now. i would say that the middle half of the tank is well lit and the outer quarters of the tank are not as lit. i use a glass top in the winter and nothing in the summer...sometimes during the day the temp gets too hot.

when you say the sides might be a little light on light, do you mean i wouldn't be able to keep any moderate needing light corals on the sides? when i envision the tank...i want the birdnest to be placed in the middle on top...kinda the centerpiece of the tank...along with the clam. all the other corals i mentioned would be placed around those two...

thanks for your advice...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts